Fly Tying
robbor

Midge bobbins?

That bobbin do you guys like for small midges 26 an under?

Anyone have experience with renzetti midge and ultra midge? And the rite shorty? I'm wondering how the tip diameters sizes compare?

I use Matarelli Midge bobbins to hold Pearsall's Gossamer Silk for tying traditional wet flies. The inside diameter at the tip is approximately 2/3 the size of the standard Matarelli.

However, to answer your first question- I use a standard bobbin holder when tying tiny flies. It handles any thread size very well, provided it is on a standard bobbin. I use a "midge" size for holding the smaller bobbins.

Ditto. It's not the hook, the bobbin or the thread, it's the size of the spool that determines what bobbin I use.

Of course, I could re-spool the thread on a plastic sewing machine bobbin, and use a midge bobbin, but I don't see the advantage.

I use the small bobbin holders for the small bobbins, like Persall's and floss. I could probably get by without them. Mine won't accept a wider spool, and my "regular" holders won't accept a narrow bobbin.

A long time back, I re-spooled a bunch thread onto small bobbins. Those small bobbins and a midge bobbin, fit into a small stream side kit very well. I never use a midge bobbin for tying at my desk, no matter what size the fly.

I use a standard bobbin. I've tied down to a size 32 with them. I have a couple of midge bobbins. Came upon them while was straightening up my tying room. I had used the small spools when I was tying with kreinik thread.

I have also tied down to size 32 with a standard bobbin. Trying to find the time to tie a 32 using the Ekich bobbin. Should work well.

How small does the tippet need to be for size 32 hooks?

I used to tie and fish quite a few 22s&24S and that was before I had ever heard of a Midge bobbin holder. Just a thought; if the thread is still the same size what is gained with a different bobbin holder? My first one didn't even have a tube, just an eye. It still works if I wanted to use it.