Fly Tying
Piker20

wish this was me.

that was a cool vid. by for the best 'fish fighting' piece i've seen. the fish in the end was amazing.

here is a Canadian version of the walk:

These videos make all those frost covered mornings feel worth it.

this is my standard time of year joke for steelheaders.....

"now is the time of year to start doing ice bath/knot tying sessions. for extra affect you can have someone throw cotton balls at you. "

Cotton balls with gravel in. That's more like it. -5 with ice in the rings, wind whipping any bare skin it finds and we seriously expect the fish to bite. Don't know who's more daft.

Byske river drains into the Baltic sea not atlantic ocean, so the salmon are a bit differen't! But awsome video all the same! Friends of mine have been there!

Adam, are you sure they are not atlantics? Will these fish not be the same fish that are caught in Russia, Scotland, Iceland etc? I'm almost certain they will be Salmo Salar the same as ours but obviously the fish that return to home rivers are genetically linked over generations so a Scottish fish won't decide to vacate to Norway one year or a Russian fish to Iceland. But they are all Salmo Salar.

Don't want to start an argument, but i've been told that the salmon found in rivers flowing into the Baltic sea are baltic salmon & not the same as atlantic salmon from the atlantic ocean waters! People don't pay thousands of euros to come & fish for baltic salmon, rather choosing the true atlantic salmon from rivers flowing into the atlantic ocean! But that could change in the future? The most alarming thing i read was 2 or 3 years ago already in a good salmon magazine, was that the best estamation for the amount of 100% true wild atlantic salmon not having there geans stuffed up by escaping farmed salmon left is only "LESS THEN ONE TENTH OF ONE PROSENT" Dosen't sound good!

The impact of farmed fish is a difficult one. It can be no coincidence that global catches fell dramatically in areas with high farm numbers. Why have some places insisted upon land based farms if they are harmless?

I did read someone trying to explain falling rod catches by suggesting that the fish we catch have the 'stupid gene'. They get caught and eaten and the fish that are left are too clever to be caught. So over time we end up with a river full of clever fish!

I dont fall for that one myself.

I found this which also suggests falling runs in the baltic

http://www.ices.dk/news-and-events/news-archive/news/Pages/Atlantic-salmon-populations-%E2%80%98against-the-current%E2%80%99-in-the-northern-Baltic-Sea.aspx

Now if your salmon all look that the one in the video; baltic/atlantic/martian, I dont care but I'll have some of that!

I'm happy with any salmon on the end of my line, i just suffer from that thing where, now & then is a good one, but never comes to the net or hands! Guess you could say some of the greatest salmon i have seen were the ones i didn't close up! But baltic salmon are still only baltic salmon compared to the all mighty atlantic salmon! Damn fish farming, have to try Russia before i die! Last year was a good year for the tana river top of Finland, couple 20+ kilo salmon, plus a really good run, this year back to normal, but the row boat fishermen always clean up = get fish! There was a boycot over here a few years ago, don't buy salmon from a large supermarket chain because they are selling baltic salmon & we should all buy farmed salmon from Norway! Save one spieses & help stuff up another! The thing i hate most here is guil net fishing, there are more guil nets used in Finland then any other country i know of! Lakes & sea! 7 or 8 years ago were 2 dolfins filmed & on the news, not seen in the Finnish arcapelago since who nows when? Next day on tv again, shown dead, found in one guy's fishing nets in Parainen, close to where i live! Sorry for having a rant! The video is still awsome!