Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deaddrifter

Houston area fly tying festival - Feb 6th

For those that live in or near Texas, the Dr. Ed Rizzolo Fly Tying Festival is happening this Saturday the 6th in Houston. Blane Chocklett will the guest tyer and will be giving a couple presentations and doing some tying demonstrations.

https://texasflyfishers.wordpress.com/2016/01/24/24th-annual-dr-ed-rizzolo-fly-tying-festival/

For those that live in or near Texas, ...

If you live near El Paso, Texas ... never mind. It's still 800 miles away. happy.png

LOL...I went to the one last year but I am not going to be able to make this one.

I am just pulling your leg, deaddrifter. But "near Texas" isn't exactly "near Houston".

Your mileage may vary ... but not by much.

LOL Got it. Thanks for the invite ... but Deltona, FL isn't quite near enough for me to make the drive.

I am surprised you haven't gotten anyone's attention. I know there are a few people on here from the Houston area.

I met Fred a few years ago in New Braunfels, Texas a few years ago. He is a amazing tier indeed!

The show was well attended. Blane Chocklett did a great presentation on his gamechanger and minnow patterns and spent a good portion of the day doing tying demonstrations and answering questions. I didn't realize he targets musky for a lot of his flies and he demonstrated a couple BIG (18+ inches) flies as well. He was a very good speaker and was very willing to share his knowledge. There were quite a number of tyers participating (myself included for a good part of the day) and you could pick up tricks from tiny dries to saltwater flies and everything in between. Along with Blane there were other presentations throughout the day, including an advanced saltwater casting clinic. All in all I personally had a lot of fun. I picked up some new ideas and spent a large portion of the day swapping stories, which is really what the other half of tying is about.