Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Would you fish this?

Absolutely! Great looking fly.

steve

Thanks! And super easy to tie. I can make these (when I'm not filming) 3-4 minutes each. I can blast through and fill my box with 20 of these in about an hour...

What do you guys think of this glass minnow? I usually tie it with bucktail, but I got this synthetic material recently and decided to tie it in that. Tell me what you think? The video is only 6 minutes and 45 seconds.

https://youtu.be/ffMVjYoSczc

Love it. I tie something very similar for striped bass and fluke. if i had only one color to tie for the rest of my life, white would be the choice.

Absolutely! Great looking fly.

steve

Thanks! It fishes pretty well also, however It fawls a bit on the hook occasionally. I might need to epoxy a bit higher up the material.

What do you guys think of this glass minnow? I usually tie it with bucktail, but I got this synthetic material recently and decided to tie it in that. Tell me what you think? The video is only 6 minutes and 45 seconds.

No. Absolutely not.

I never use fly patterns from guys with red beards. I just don't do it. Bad luck. Like driving a green car. ;-)

No. Absolutely not.

I never use fly patterns from guys with red beards. I just don't do it. Bad luck. Like driving a green car. ;-)

lol I guess the rule must not apply to the guy with the red beard tying the flies. Cause I tie lots of flies, and have caught on each one! HAHA

Do you normally use white thread when you tie the pattern or was it just to make the thread visible in the video? Normally when I tie a bait fish pattern I use clear polyester or mono thread. Someone, in the mullet thread, pointed out the ASWF(Atlantic Salt Water Flyrodders web page for Bob Pops flies. Check out Steve Farrar's tutorial on "Flash Blending" that will solve the problem of tapering the material and adding flash to the fly.

That's a fairly popular style. I was at a beginner's tying class my salt water club was running on Saturday. There were three of us, intermediate/advanced tyers sitting at the back table set up to show the beginners any patterns they might be interested in learning after the basic class was over. While we were waiting we tied some flies. The guy next to me was tying "Ray's Fly" which is popular with club members. It's a buck tail bait fish pattern. Hook shank is wrapped with silver or pearl braid and the buck tail is tied in on top of the shank. When wet it has a slim profile which makes it an effective sand eel pattern

I like the idea of the sparkle chenille for the body. I have some in holographic silver. Should work for both silverside and bay anchovy patterns. I'll give it a shot.

Do you normally use white thread when you tie the pattern or was it just to make the thread visible in the video? Normally when I tie a bait fish pattern I use clear polyester or mono thread. Someone, in the mullet thread, pointed out the ASWF(Atlantic Salt Water Flyrodders web page for Bob Pops flies. Check out Steve Farrar's tutorial on "Flash Blending" that will solve the problem of tapering the material and adding flash to the fly.That's a fairly popular style. I was at a beginner's tying class my salt water club was running on Saturday. There were three of us, intermediate/advanced tyers sitting at the back table set up to show the beginners any patterns they might be interested in learning after the basic class was over. While we were waiting we tied some flies. The guy next to me was tying "Ray's Fly" which is popular with club members. It's a buck tail bait fish pattern. Hook shank is wrapped with silver or pearl braid and the buck tail is tied in on top of the shank. When wet it has a slim profile which makes it an effective sand eel patternI like the idea of the sparkle chenille for the body. I have some in holographic silver. Should work for both silverside and bay anchovy patterns. I'll give it a shot.

I do use white thread because where I tie is no where near the body of the fly. I find it doesn't really make much of a difference up by the head, since usually the heads of fry aren't transparent like the bodies.