Fly Tying

Ok I ordered a few flies for pan fish, and looking at getting a fly box. Im thinking waterproof silicone, and slim double sides box, and a good sized to be able to grow as the number of fly grows. Any recommendations?

I second the inexpensive boxes - if you decide to buy at a fly shop, fishing store, or show - I like small, thin boxes that are transparent - I can fit many of these in my vest and see what is inside without having to open it. I recently made up a box (the smallest Bass Pro sells) of #14 and #16 flys - this little box held 1/2 gross (72) flies!!!!

I like this https://www.ginkandgasoline.com/trout-fishing/diy-magnetic-fly-box/

and this https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/515418-diy-slit-foam-fly-boxes.html#post1055641

The water proof box gifted to me tears ago lives on a shelf, too bulky and heavy to carry and much too hard to open with wet cold fingers.

Ask 100 guys and you'll get 100 different answers as to what box to use/carry. I've made my own, I've used compartment ones, hard side ones, Cliffs style, the page style ones, think over the years I have tried just about all of them. Now a days I use mainly these https://www.theflystop.com/orvis-lightweight-fly-box-s-ripl-ripl-65872 Reason being is because they are extremely light. If you spend a long day on the water and carry multiple plastic boxes they can be bulky and get heavy on a hot long day so that's why I like the ones in the link. I've pretty much switched over all my boxes to that style now and you couldn't pay me to go back to plastic/heavier ones unless I'm in the boat.

Again, you'll get a lot of personal opinions, but that is mine smile.png

The Maxcatch double side silicone waterproof in size C which is 5.9x3.8x1.77 for $14.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxcatch-Two-Sided-Waterproof-Fishing-Green/dp/B079CBS8W2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=maxcatch%2Bsilicone%2Bfly%2Bbox&qid=1562266805&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

This is the one I was looking at any thoughts?

post-61897-0-74618800-1562267020_thumb.jpg

I prefer and use the old, outdated, no longer made Perrine Model #66 aluminum fly box. This is the model with the coil springs that holds the fly upright. It is small (3 5/8" x 2 5/8" x 5/8"), light weight, durable and it holds a lot of flies. I have around 20 or so of them and I keep one specific fly type in each box. When I go fishing, I fill up one box with several different flies that I might use for the day and it is hardly noticeable in my vest. I am not trying to tell anyone what to do, I am only sharing what I do. I have used these boxes for 50 years or so and they always worked for me. They are always available on the auction site some for cheap and some not so cheap depending on the whims of the seller.

Joe

Whole last week has been. 90's and 70% humidity.

Unless you were referring to something else as a joke and that case I have no idea what you meant lol

laugh.png NO !!!

I don't even want to think of any "innuendo" that might come to mind! ohmy.png dry.png

I was speaking of weather. I know 70% humidity seems bad to you Northerners. Here, if we don't have to wear scuba gear to breath, the humidity is not so bad.

So any opinions on the Maxcatch waterproof silicone fly box in size C?

They look like good boxes. I recently bought a bunch of the Cabela's version of that box (double-sided, gasket seal), and I like them pretty well. They have foam inserts instead of silicone; silicone is supposed to be more durable, less subject to deforming and loosening its grip on hooks, but I haven't tried the silicone myself.

Of note, for years and years I used only the all-foam boxes that steeldrifter recommended, for exactly the reason he cited (weight). Then, at some point, I slipped and took a dip in the river, and all my dry flies got soaked, and that (plus my liking for new stuff :) ) convinced me that I needed all "waterproof" boxes. Cabela's kept running them on sale that winter, so I bought four of them. I have not fallen in or dropped a fly box in the water since, so the gasket seals have not done me any good, and they are a LOT heavier than the foam boxes. Also, I don't know about the Maxcatch ones, but the latches on the Cabela's boxes don't latch very firmly. The waterproof seal wouldn't do much good if the box goes in the water with the lid hanging open.

Just my thoughts.

Bryon