Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peddler

Flashabou find!

At Lowes hardware store I found this big bundle of Flashabou for $1.99! The little bundle costs $4.99.

I'm a smart shopper! biggrin.gif

user posted image

Sweet!!!

I headed there now. Hopefully our store will carry it too.

Thanks for the info!!!

JP

One forewarning about that stuff. It's STIFF! I have some, and it doesn't nearly move like flashabou (which from my understanding was created by looking at normal xmas tinsel). If you want actual "flashabou" type tinsel, go to Walmart and look in the boxes. You get equivelent to like 8 packages of flashabou for about $2 (and after Xmas can get onsale for about $0.50 a box). This is EXACTLY like flashabou you buy. Only downside, can mostly find in silver only. I think I have a lifetime supply of silver tinsel now. LOL. Bought closeouts and stocked up a couple years ago. But that stuff is great for adding flash along side streamers where you don't want movement (I use it on some baitfish patterns I use here in the NW). For candlefish patterns, WAY too stiff for that.

Right you are, Steelheader69, though not at all unusable, the hardware store stuff is about .0007" thicker than the salt water Flashabou. By feel though it isn't at all that much different. It does make SWEET Pearl Necklaces though.

Got the gold there too! This is more limber than the opal Flashabou.

user posted image

QUOTE (Steelheader69 @ Dec 5 2004, 04:56 PM)
One forewarning about that stuff.  It's STIFF!  I have some, and it doesn't nearly move like flashabou (which from my understanding was created by looking at normal xmas tinsel).  If you want actual "flashabou" type tinsel, go to Walmart and look in the boxes.  You get equivelent to like 8 packages of flashabou for about $2 (and after Xmas can get onsale for about $0.50 a box).  This is EXACTLY like flashabou you buy.  Only downside, can mostly find in silver only.  I think I have a lifetime supply of silver tinsel now.  LOL.  Bought closeouts and stocked up a couple years ago.  But that stuff is great for adding flash along side streamers where you don't want movement (I use it on some baitfish patterns I use here in the NW).  For candlefish patterns, WAY too stiff for that.

Hey SH.

What do mean by looking in the boxes at Walmart? Do you mean the Christmas decoration area?

Sorry for the dumb question but I wanted to make sure I'm looking in the right area. I did but the Lowes stuff. $1.47 each. It is stiffer but I'll find an application for them.

Thanks.

JP

Oh, sorry. I guess I should've expanded on that one. Tinsel originally, and still does, comes in cardboard boxes covered in plastic. So you need to grab the box wrapped in plastic and look in the clear cover to see if it's tinsel. It's PERFECT. I literally have a rubbermaid (like a 100 qt) filled with this stuff. LOL. I'll take pictures of the box and also the hank I got out of it (though I've been working off this one). I have small zipties, and all I do is lay out the tinsel and wrap a ziptie in the middle (similar to what they do to krystal flash, with flashabou they normally use a hogring to clamp it down).

Sounds good. I'll check it out.

Now another question for ya...is there a good source on this site or other that have some good tying recipes using this stuff?

Thanks for your help.

Hmmm. I use mine for tying salmon/steelhead flies. Lots of uses. Flashy wings, tails, etc.

QUOTE (Steelheader69 @ Dec 6 2004, 02:14 PM)
Hmmm. I use mine for tying salmon/steelhead flies. Lots of uses. Flashy wings, tails, etc.

I see what ya mean. Creativity can be fun with flies.

Thanks for the info!!! biggrin.gif

JP

JP66 I use the stuff for the same things Jerry does, put some in the tail of flies that have marabou tails or wings and it adds a really sharp flashy look to the fly. It dosent take a whole lot to make it loook good just a limited number of strands, too much will make the fly "too flashy".

SD

Ok, here you go. I took a quick picture and uploaded it. Now that memory serves me right (after seeing the prices on it), I think I only paid like a dime each for these. The actual price on them is $0.50!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the RETAIL price mind you. I know I bought them alot cheaper. Now thinking back, may have been 10 boxes for a buck. The image on far left is what I was talking about being a "box". It's the icicles, and 2,000 count and 18" long. Then have what is the full package with band in the middle. Then on the far right, you'll see an actual uncut hank of flashabou. Notice almost no difference. See how much bigger the middle one is next to the flashabou? That has been cut ALOT, so alot of it is missing. That's not the full hank that came out of the box. Works great, and CHEAP. Hell, even at the full $0.50 rate, it's cheaper then buying silver flashabou at a flyshop.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/uploads/galle...b4c40309c4d.jpg

Man, just wait till December 26, then hit WALMART/KMART/LOWES... anyplace that sells decorations!! It'll be on SALE!!!

(Acutally, the decorations may go on sale earlier, so SHOP OFTEN! devil.gif )

Consider that before Flashabou hit the fly shops, identical mylar was used on the ends of the handles of little girls' tricycles. That's where I first obtained my flash material. Chech out land fills, yard sales, etc.

Sign in to follow this