Fly Tying
flytire

June Flies From the Vise

fshng2 -that's a great pair of back country baitfish flies... The only thing I'd consider changing are the eyes... Get a look at what are called in catalogs - "plastic doll eyes". You clip off the plastic stems then glue and clamp them in place until setup. Here's a pic or two of what I use (believe Puglisi uses these as well...)...

6QmgXaM.jpg

finger mullets

0yQApBO.jpg

feather mullet (Seaducer variation)

They have the added benefit of adding a bit of profile to a baitfish pattern and are very, very durable.... compared to all the holographic or other decal based eyes...

Hope this helps...

Capt. Bob,

Really like them 1st ones...those will catch any fish that swims and eats other fish.

Body is made with a dubbing loop of craft fur. Allen B200 #10

D1-C21-D0-F-C91-F-4-B48-926-B-2814-CF529

Oh...U2..fshng2

fshng2 -that's a great pair of back country baitfish flies... The only thing I'd consider changing are the eyes... Get a look at what are called in catalogs - "plastic doll eyes". You clip off the plastic stems then glue and clamp them in place until setup. Here's a pic or two of what I use (believe Puglisi uses these as well...)...

6QmgXaM.jpg

finger mullets

0yQApBO.jpg

feather mullet (Seaducer variation)

They have the added benefit of adding a bit of profile to a baitfish pattern and are very, very durable.... compared to all the holographic or other decal based eyes...

Hope this helps...

Thanks Capt Bob & Mike.... yea I like using tab eyes because they are easy to attach, and are very durable.

I use 8# test mono for thread over the tab and apply enough pressure to really bite into the tab so they stay put for the life of the fly.

I bought some plastic doll eyes a few months ago and have yet to try them.

What glue do you use to attach them, and how do you clamp them till dry?

Here's the drill I came up with back when I was still tying commercially... There's an arrow makers glue called Fletch-Tite (for gluing feathers onto arrows) that comes in a handy tube with the perfect applicator for placing a single dot of glue where it's wanted. I buy mine at my local Bass Pro shop...

Place that dot of glue where you want it then use a clothes pin or mini clamp (I use Irwin mini clamps) to secure the one side's eye exactly where you want it... wait five minutes until the glue is properly set - then do the other side and clamp it... I generally work up a half dozen or so bugs before adding eyes... This routine will provide very secure - in fact the eyes are usually still in place when the tail of the fly has been chewed off. The Fletch-Tite secures to every material, natural or synthetic that we've used it on - usually with a minimum of un-needed extra glue due to the small applicator...

Hope this helps. The fish where I'm guiding are very hard on flies (and everything else - mother nature doesn't fool around in the salt or brackish areas of the Everglades...). Here's a pic of my "office"...

c3PDrDv.jpg

Captain Bob, It's hard to tell who's winning in that photo. We have some big fish up here but nothing like that.

Capt Bob looks like you were having an Office Visit from one of your clients (or a wrestling match).

Thanks for the info Capt and Vicente... just ordered some Fletch-Tight.

What is the dry time?

I've used new flies the day after they were glued up - and I find that each fly is ready to package an hour after the eyes were secured - no problem at all...