Fly Tying
letumgo

Winding Chenille Materials onto Cards

Here is another use I found for my rotary vise. I recently purchased a bunch of chenille of E-bay and when it came in, the chenille was all in loose bunches. The bunches of chenille easily became tangled together and were not convenient to tye with. I decided to wind the material onto some small plastic cards I picked up at JoAnne's.

I found that I could easily mount the cards in the jaws of my rotary vise and then spin the vise to wind the material onto the cards. I like the fact that the I could keep a nice uniform tension on the material while it was being wound onto the card to reduce the bulk. This method does not add additional twist to the chenille material like hand winding tends to do. It is a fast and simple way to card materials.

I figured I'd share this in case others would find it useful. :)

post-4573-1172939491_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1172939522_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1172939546_thumb.jpg

Great idea! Maybe one could make a spool winder, too. Put a slot in the end of a wood dowell, glue a flat piece of plastic (bread wrapper tag?) into the slot. jamb the empty spool onto the dowell, put the plastic thingy in the jaws, and wind away.

My father in law has a lure company specializing in jigs, spinner baits and tubes. He uses Danville Flymaster plus thread by the case. He will go through a dozen spools every couple weeks. I use those to put my loose chenille and stuff on. I hate those cards. I can put them on loose spools and use them in an old bobbin. You will not waste near the material. You use what you need and dont cut off any extra. But thanks for the idea on my rotary vise, I never thought of that.