Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Beadheads...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vices

vices

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:52 PM

Just wondering how many use beadheads, how often and whats your favorite technique to fish them.. ?
Work to live, live to fish.

#2 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 11:43 AM

'Beadheads' is a relative idea, depending on what's being tied. It is easier to associate Dumbbell eye-weighted style flies to salt water, though I think Striblue has done one or two things with bulletheads.

Certainly, beadheads can be used in construction of larger saltwater style flies. Several styles come to mind like Tinker Mackerel, Peanut Bunker (Menhaden; Pogie), the various small baitfish grouped into a category called "silversides" (of which baby pogies are a member.) Sliders and divers and crabs; attempts have been made to string beads to imitate segmented worms- though they become more like a conventional lure than a fly dressing at that level.

Use your imagination and let's all see where you go with it. Good Luck!

#3 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 11:44 AM

I haven't used bead heads in saltwater. Do tie up an occasional Jiggie Fly which use a Jiggy head. The way the head is designed the hook point rides up, and gives a nice up and down motion to the fly as it's retrieved. I use these in place of bead heads on my larger fresh water flies.
"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#4 vices

vices

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 12:00 PM

I use goldbead stones(size 10-6) when im fishin steelies in deeper pools.. with a fast stop an go type retrieve, they seem to like anything with a lil flash on it. I also tye scuds with the dumbbell weights, they make great eyes, the weight helps you feel where the fly is, and makes it alot easier to imitate the action...
Work to live, live to fish.