Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What Vise do you use?

• Please log in to reply
1033 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your primary vise? (3193 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your primary vise?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1021 petegray

petegray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:15 PM

fullsizeoutput_23b9_zpskqytpnxp.jpeg

slightly handicapped moderately decorated military aviator veteran with issues...

#1022 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:07 PM

For me it is Nor-Vise or J-Vice and I wish I had bought one of them as soon as I realized how much I enjoyed this pastime.

I stair-stepped my way through several lower quality models that worked okay, which have now been given to new students of the game. But I could have saved quite a few $ in the long-run and good tools add to the fun and lessen many problems.
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

#1023 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

For me it is Nor-Vise or J-Vice and I wish I had bought one of them as soon as I realized how much I enjoyed this pastime.

I stair-stepped my way through several lower quality models that worked okay, which have now been given to new students of the game. But I could have saved quite a few $ in the long-run and good tools add to the fun and lessen many problems.
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

#1024 petegray

petegray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:24 AM

F70A1224_zps79564954.jpg

slightly handicapped moderately decorated military aviator veteran with issues...

#1025 Roland58

Roland58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:23 PM

I use a piece of junk that came with a fly tying kit purchased at Gander Mountain for about $30 (for the entire kit). I have tied many successful flies in spite of the vise being rather difficult to use. The best thing I can say about it is that it works, not especially well, but, it does work.

Roland

All electrical devices are powered by smoke, when the smoke escapes they will no longer work.

#1026 Roland58

Roland58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

FYI, I have not posted in a,very long time due to a series of physical issues. I broke my left leg, then my lower back required surgery, I developed Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome in my left leg, then a Morten's Neuroma in my left foot, and just recently I went through a very painful surgery to repair a broken left hand. On a good note, I am on the mend and should be "slinging some line" in about a month...just in time for the sand bass run!

Roland

All electrical devices are powered by smoke, when the smoke escapes they will no longer work.

#1027 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,915 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:49 PM

Welcome back, Roland! 

Holy Moly, man ... you need to change your screen name to "Lucky" !!!

I sincerely wish you a speedy recovery and a fly rod in your hand soon !!!

PS ... According to some, you might not have had all those injuries and surgeries if you were tying on a $3000.00 LAW vise !!!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#1028 Paflyfusher

Paflyfusher

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 05:57 AM

I've been using a Dynaking baracuda for about 10 yr. Having tied thousands of flies on it I can't imagine being with out it. I had a Regal years ago, after having hooks pop out and fly across the room too many times I sold it.

#1029 Paflyfusher

Paflyfusher

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:01 AM

Dynaking baracuda my vise for past 10yr. Wouldn't go without it!

#1030 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,915 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:51 AM

Welcome to the site, Paflyfusher.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#1031 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:11 AM

My vises have been Thompson A ----> Regal ----> HMH Standard ----> Renzetti Master Vise with Speed Crank

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#1032 flyty1

flyty1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:36 AM

Started out with a Universal II rotary, graduated to Thompson A, finally use HMH standard and Regal for most of my tying. Of course, being a vice - I have tried and own several others which are used for travelling to tie on vacation or with fly tying groups.

#1033 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:18 PM

Thompson A ---> Thompson A revisited ---> Renzetti Traveler ---> ??? Next ???...
Old Renzetti Master?
Used DK Barracuda / Ultimate Indexer?
Used Petitjean Master?
Used Norvise?
Used JVise?
Always dreaming....
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#1034 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:23 PM

Started with a Thompson A and still use it forty plus years later, also have a very good knock off of it, a Sunrise "AA" bought @1980 to teach the kids on; side by side hands on method. I made a base for the "A" soon after I got it.

I think I'd like a Norvise, but doubt I ever change.