Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Whiting Coq de Leon Silver Saddle

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:00 PM

Anyone use these, please chime in... I like (understatement) Coq de Leon for dry tailing and I know that the saddles are also useful for bugger collars and maybe streamer wings... But a few questions:

1. On a silver cdl saddle are most or all of the feathers suitable for dry fly tails or only a relative few?

2. Also, are there any substantial number of feathers that could be used as dry hackle (even parachute hackle) on size 14-16?

3. Lastly, does anyone use these for salt & maybe warmwater? What sort of patterns (I'll be venturing there)

Thinking of getting one of these in medium pardo. Much thanks in advance. Also if there's anyone who wants in on splitting one 50-50 for $20 plus shipping chime in there too. Please pm me if interested, post with any info to share.

Thanks
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver