Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Duck

Mustad Customer Service

Ok, So, Monday, I went by the local fly/kayak/outdoor store that's not too far from me. They occasionally buy flies from me and I went to see if they needed more flies and to pick up a couple of boxes of hooks. I picked up a box of 25 count Mustad SS #2 hooks to tie some new Bass flies that I have been working on. The shop needed no more flies until after February due to decreased demand and inventory. I made my purchase and headed home,excited about having more hooks to get these flies done.

I get home and open the package and I have two "hooks" that really didn't qualify as hooks. One was completely straight and the other was bent in the wrong place. I had seen this before,but never on a SS hook. I decided to call Mustad to report this,in case this was a widespread problem. I counted the hooks and the proper amount were in the box,plus the funky ones.

I talked to a nice guy that explained that sometimes the culls make it into boxes despite efforts to keep them out. I told him it wasn't any big deal,but, I figured they might want to know in case it was an issue they needed to handle. He asked me for my address so he could send me some replacements. Again I told him that it wasn't necessary,but he still wanted my address.

Today, UPS drops off a box that contained not only a FULL, 50 count box of replacement hooks,but a nice Mustad Hat as well.

Thats some good customer service in my eyes!!!!!!!

post-64325-0-02764600-1573245866_thumb.jpg

In this day and age of companies that are usually only about the almighty dollar and not the customer, it's good to see stuff like that. Bravo for Mustad.

I've had a few wonky hooks like that in some of their #6 salmon packs before. I remember one time I pulled one out and it looked like a hook but was flat as a pancake laugh.png

Good for you and good for them. Way to go Mustad. I actually thought this was going to be a horror story when I clicked on this.

I'll take the straight one. That thing is bad ass haha

Tie it to a zinger and use it for one helluva cool nail knot tool smile.png

Not a bad idea,although it does have a sharp point and a bit of a barb. I might have to modify it a bit..ha ha

Not a bad idea,although it does have a sharp point and a bit of a barb. I might have to modify it a bit..ha ha

I'd keep the point to use for opening up eyes on flies. Just put a piece of tube over the end while its on your vest. Problem'o solved'o smile.png Dual purpose nail knot/eye opener tool. Gotta patent that! lol

Since Im still buying almost all of my Mustad hooks by the 1000 per size/style... I expect to get my share of incomplete hooks in every box (hooks without eyes, blanks with fully formed points and barbs that were never bent into shape, etc. Generally theyre less than 1% of the total though. Ive never found anything like that with those super premium Japanese hooks - but theyre also five times as expensive...