Fly Tying
trez

New swap...Too much Whiting saddle hackle

Here is the background of the swap.

During the hair feather fashion fad in 2011, I was unemployed and found work buying and selling Whiting dry fly hackle for this use on e-bay. I was able to take care of my family for the year and able to buy (cash), a much needed wheel chair van for my son who was born Quadriplegic. I dont feel like a trader for doing this as I was in need at the time.

So, heres the deal. The hackle is back to being worth its weight in fly tying thread or something like that. I have enough Whiting saddle hackle in natural and fashion colors, (hot pink, purple, blue, green, bright red, yellow, dun, ginger, brown and various odd miss dyed stuff) to last me 20 lifetimes. All I dont have an over-abundance of is Grizzly and barred colors as they always sold fast.

I have way too much hackle that I paid more than its worth to obtain. No biggie as it all came from selling what I had on hand and buying and selling out of the profits made.

Long story short, Id like to set up a swap to send Whiting dry fly saddle hackle, (100+ flies worth) to each swapper. You would get enough to experiment with and have left overs to make some for yourself.

I have picked out 12 different colors of hackle. I will send out one color and a batch of brown hackle to each participant.

Each participant creates a fly they think would work well with their unique color. You can use the brown in the fly or not your choice, this is just an extra.

Each participant ties up 12 flies + a few for me to "exchange for the hackle and my shipping costs". I'll leave the extra quantity up to you as I don't know what your tying time is worth to you or how long it takes you to tie a fly. The bright colors could be used as a color spot, Hi-visibility, Para-looped, whatever. Some colors are more subdued than others (green, blue etc...)

My main purpose here is to get some of this hackle to people who will use it so it doesn't just sit in plastic boxes in the shop and to get ideas of how to use some of these unusual colors for hackle on flies that will catch fish.

Most of the feathers would tie size 14-18 dry flies and are 8"-12" long, though I wont be sizing them as it would take too long.

I will take a dozen tiers at a time to participate. If it goes well, I will run this more than once. Deadline to be set once the swap fills up. I have the hackle packaged and ready to go. It will run for a month. A week for hackle to get to you, two weeks to tie and a week to get them back to me.

Standard rules:

1.(Toe tag flies) each fly will need to have a small piece of paper attached to the bend of the hook with the swappers name on it. (This makes it easier for me to divide them up before sending them back)

2. Flies should be mailed in a crushproof box. Altoids cans are perfect (Please no expensive Trout fly cases)

3. Box should be sent to me with a stamped self-addressed envelope.

4. Flies need to be mailed in time to reach me by deadline date.

5. Please include name and site username on package.

To be counted reply to this post with (I'm in)

Any member that drops out of this swap will need to contact me in advance of the deadline and return the supplied hackle.

Any swapper that fails to contact me in advance of deadline, of his or her intentions of dropping out will not be able to participate in future swaps and will be reported to the administration.

HERE IS THE TEAM ROSTER...

1. green -- hackle received -- flies received -- final set received

2. fishingbobnelson -- hackle received -- flies received -- final set received

3. DavidHE -- hackle received -- flies received -- final set received

4.Dcap240 -- hackle received -- flies received --final set received

5.vicrider -- hackle received -- flies received - - final set received

6.backyardhunter3006 -- hackle received -- flies received

7.Jolly Red -- hackle received -- flies received -- final set received

8.Williamhj -- hackle received -- flies received -- final set received

9.djtrout -- hackle received -- flies received -- final set received

10.BattenkillBum -- hackle received -- flies received

11. Rick Ziegler -- hackle received -- flies received - - final set received

12.phg -- hackle received -- flies received

Each swapper please PM me your Name and Shipping information. It will be kept confidential.

I have sent hackle to everyone. You should be getting it around the 1st of December. Please tie your flies and send them back to me before Christmas so that I have them by the end of the month. This is the deadline date (December 31st).

I'm giving this a bit more time since Christmas is a pretty busy time for a lot of us. I'm not extending it past this though as it seems that procrastination becomes a problem with a lengthy swap.

Thanks all and happy tying!!

Dcap 240,

Here in Oregon, I enjoy fishing for trout, salmon, steelhead as well as bass and bluegill when I get over to the other side of the mountains. Haven't gotten into the salt water game yet. Which brings up a thought, I don't care that you send me duplicates of the swap flies for the extras. I'd enjoy variety. A couple of the same kind would be nice so I can fish with them but they don't have to be dry flies. You could just grab a few from your existing stash. Especially if you have had good luck with that kind....

Thanks for asking!

I'm in. Basically what I'll get is a pack of Whiting 100s and tie up flies for the swap based on the color if possible. (What's Mauve?) Also some brown of my own. When I send you back the flies I'll toss in some mixed grizzly because that is the one I have surplus of. Sounds good and hope it works like you want it too. I generally include only the amount of flies for swap and vary the extras for what the swapmeister primarily fishes so you last post is great for me.

Nick

Several people said they would like to be in on the other thread.

BattenkillBum

Piker 20

phg

rick zieger

backyardhunter3006

djtrout

jollyred

These people will need to verify their desire to be in this swap. I have sent them each a PM so this swap may be full.

vicrider,

Mauve is a variety of purple, not sure where I mentioned it but I do have several purple colors.

I'm still in this one. Thanks for hosting.

Just noticed that we have two weeks according to your schedule to tie these. If that time period occurs during the Christmas holidays, I will not have the time to participate. Could you be more specific on the date you will send out the hackle?

I'm going to call this swap Full

I haven't heard from everyone but they just said they wanted in this morning so I'm sure they do. I'll send out the hackle right away when I get the addresses. Therefore the sooner you get them to me the sooner we can start. When I get them all I'll set a deadline. As I said in the first post, the hackle is already packaged it just needs labels.

Thanks all, this should be fun.

Williamhj one tier passed so your in.

troutguy, I need to get replies from the ones I posted as talking with me on the other thread before I can say for sure if there will be room but I'll let you know as soon as possible.