Fly Tying
letumgo

Los Alamos Ant (Harrison Steeves pattern)

This is a pattern called a "Los Alamos Ant", created by Harrison Steeves. They are a lot of fun to tye, and catch fish like crazy.

IMGP4785.JPG

IMGP4793.JPG

IMGP4796.JPG

IMGP4799.JPG

PS - These are a great fly to demonstrate in front of kids. The materials are cheap and customizing them is a lot of fun (craft paint and sharpie markers). I'm not sure the little buggy eyes help them fish any better, but it certainly adds to the joy of creation. This pattern has earned a place in my fly box, catching me many fish, over many years. One of my favorite top water patterns.

PPS - They make a good strike indicator too, if you care to drop another fly off the bend of the hook (think "hopper-dropper" combination).

IMGP4753.JPG

IMGP4749.JPG

IMGP4743.JPG

IMGP4738.JPG

IMGP4735.JPG

IMGP4730.JPG

IMGP4719.JPG

Some of those should be featured in the next Godzilla movie. Definitely a Large Mouth Bass bug.

Nice ties. Harry created it as a counter point to the Chernobyl Ant. With the way the head sits it can be fished as a gurgler.

Question. Did you make the "loco" foam you used as the body for the 5th, 7th and 8th fly? If you like that kind of effect you can probably pick up the makings at a local craft store or a place like Hobby Lobbby. I call it transfer foil, it may have a different commercial name, and a sheet of sticky back craft foam. My favorite is Mother of Pearl, with the Motor Oil you used for beetles and spiders.

Lots of great shots of what looks like a great tie but I'd like to see shots of the bottom and sides of those guys.

Puhlleeze?

I have not found a good sbs on the net for this fly. Does anyone know of one?

There's one on YouTube but the instructions are in Danish. There's one in the pattern data base with written instructions

www.flytyingforum.com/pattern3476.html

I use an old spark plug gauge to cut out the foam triangles. Separate the two heaviest gauges to form a V. Lay on the foam sheet and use a sharp blade to cut.