Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

You guys are darn LUCKY in Florida

Grouper, Blacktip, tuna, Mahi-Mahi, flounder, tarpon, swordfish, bass, sunfish, crappie, trout, bonefish, snapper. You guys are lucky. All of the saltwater Florida fishermen (and woman) Plz show me you pics.

I don't do salt water, so all my pictures are fresh water.

Red Eared Sunfish

red ear 6-3-16.JPG

Coppernosed Bluegill

P4280004.JPG

Bluegill

St. Johns River 8-17-13 2.JPG

Coppernosed Bluegill

North tract CNB 5-8-13.JPG

Two Channel Catfish

St. Johns River-Lemon Bluff 10-12 2.JPG

St. Johns River 8-17-13 1.JPG

Baby 'gator. Caught on a soft plastic "stick bait" skimmed across the surface.

caught one 2.jpg

Blue Tilpia

4 pound 7 ounce tilapia 2-25-17.jpg

Okay Mike, what's that ugly thing in the last picture? NO NO, I mean the fish. Is that a Cichlid (sp). If so I thought they were more gill size and didn't realize they got that size.

I was wondering that same thing, vicrider. almost as much as I wonder what fish I caught in picture five of the post "CRAZY FISHING TRIP!" (does anyone even care about my Fishing reports?) BTW You guys have catfish, too? WHAT? That is the fish at the top of my bucket list.

The last one is a Blue Tilapia being held by the handsomest 60 year old in Florida. Yes, I mean me. They're an invasive species here, and usually only caught by bet or by accident. That one was by accident. If I could find a fly that ALWAYS caught their interest, I'd be tying them up. Tilapia fight like 'gills, and at 3 or 4 pounds, like that one, they're beast !!!

Yeah, we have catfish. They're not usually caught on a fly, either, but they WILL attack prey. I've never caught any of the bruisers known to exist here, though.

2nd one from top is strange looking, all of them look like aliens to me.but the 1st one.

I went back and labeled the pictures.

Here's some more:

Another Tilapia.

3p 4o tilapia 5-11-13.jpg

Bowfin.

St. Johns 5-24-14 2.jpg

Largemouth Bass.

12-13-15 1.jpg

Warmouth (I think ... we called them "goggle eyes" back in Indiana)

001.JPG

Manatee ... not caught, just checking me out!

St. Johns 9-3-11 005.jpg

Never seen black bluegill and the catfish are blacker than I'm used to, only the warmouth, lmb and red ear look familiar and the red ear again is darker than I've ever seen.

Almost all the fish I catch are from water that's as dark as a good cup of coffee. Darker water, darker marks on the fish.

Small Flat Head Catfish, I believe.

St. Johns River-Lemon Bluff 04 site.jpg
We don't JUST have 'gators here ... a couple of the Rattlers I've encountered
Ocala rattler.jpg
little rattler 2.JPG

WELL AT LEAST YOU HAVE CATFISH AND BASS!

And three kinds of rattle snakes, two kinds of copperheads and cottonmouths. More stinging and biting insects than I can count. And birds that catch bigger fish than I do some days. Every place has some drawbacks. Many people here dream of fishing in Alaska. Mark posted many spectacular looking fish that he's caught there. I was astonished at the variety. Every place has its good things.

I fish for what is near me and try to learn more about them on each outing. I wouldn't know lingcod from a cod from a salmon because I have never had the privilege to catch either.

you folks in alaska are living the dream

No Pike, Muskellunge, fresh water Trout or Salmon of any species or Halibut. Actually, all the "cold water" fish are non-existent here, since our water temps get too high in the Summer.

Trust me, there's no place I'd rather be, though.

Tjm ... you can't talk about stinging/biting insects. Alaska has more than we do, they come out in larger numbers than we get AND, because their "season" is so short, they're ravenous. It's been said, people have gone mad trying to get away from Great White country black flies and/or mosquitoes.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alaskan-mosquito-swarm-video_n_3682619

I've never been there Mike so I can think they have it made and they live paradise. wink.png

Do they have the red wasps and bald face hornets that can kill people? I've been in shock a few times from wasp stings. I have endured black flies in the north east and they can't compare with horse flies for pain or open bleeding wound.

>I do have streams so clear that you can count rocks in 5' of water, until we get a couple inches rain and have flash floods.

Mabey It's because I live in AK, and I'm kind of sick of it here. Florida Is at the top of my list right now. I don't care about the insects because, as said before, Ak Has WAY more insects. If Mark Knapp visited the lodge more, he would probably agree with me. And It get WAY worst the video mike showed us. One time when I was younger we were at Donally lake, and there were mosquitos EVERYWHERE. We were filling up out pack rafts, and pretty soon both of our pack rafts had at least 20 bugs flying around in them. And with every slap, we killed 3 of them at a time. Also, In CAP (Air Force auxiliary), Mosquitoes made it IMPOSSIBLE to stand at attention for inspections. Florida is cool because I have never seen a snake before, nor have I seen a gator. And In Alaska we have angry moose and unfriendly bears. But the main reason for Florida is the salt (I know you don't do saltwater, Mike). GOLIATH GROUPER AND TUNA, BABY! YEAH! Alaska's fun for a little while, but then it gets boring. Florida, Montana, and Colorado are the places I'm going to be!