Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

what repurposed items do you tie with

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:41 AM

bpPuFo4.jpg

5CzgZMk.jpg

h4rHM6M.jpg

The fish care less than we do!

#17 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:23 AM

Someone asked about my strip cutter.  This is a homemade divise, and I have not used it yet for cutting zonker strips.   As it is setup here, there are 5 blades which will then cut 4 strips.  To make a zonker strip cutter use 2 or 3 washers or a single nut between the blades.  The blades come from Home Depot or Lowes and are 4" long.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Cutting tool.JPG

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#18 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:40 PM

In a recent estate I bought, the former fly tier had a can of hair spray with his fly tying stuff. He also had some duck and goose quills he had sprayed with some sort of fixative. Putting two and two together I tried spraying some feathers with the hair spray and it works very well. It works better than the other things I had tried like Flex coat and head cement.

Is this a thing? Has any one else tried it?

#19 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:16 PM

spraying wing quill feathers with some type of fixative is an old practice to supposedly hold the fibers together. after a couple of fish the wing come apart

#20 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:32 PM

spraying wing quill feathers with some type of fixative is an old practice to supposedly hold the fibers together. after a couple of fish the wing come apart

I think the idea behind that is just holding fibers together together while tying.  It doesn't matter if they come apart later. 

Wings so fixed can put a twist in a tippet, but some people like to fix feathers used in wing cases, where it twisting isn't a problem.

Bob

#21 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:49 PM

Thanks, Norm and Bob, I understand the use of fixative, I was more interested in if anybody used hair spray and if they thought it was a good substitute. It's possible I'm overthinking it.

#22 CasualAngler

CasualAngler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:11 PM

Other than using an old block of wood for a tool caddy and a bit of my cat's hair for dubbing, not too much.

#23 Noahguide

Noahguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:56 PM

I buy inexpensive "Cosplay" wigs on eBay for streamer hair, salt water mainly. The wigs come in literally every color under the sun including fluorescents and glow in the dark. They are cheep, $10.00-$14.00 each and one wig will make hundreds of flies.

Mark, in the lower 48 you can find/ buy them at dollar tree,.... for a dollar

#24 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:00 PM

yes hair spray can be used 

#25 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:04 PM

I buy inexpensive "Cosplay" wigs on eBay for streamer hair, salt water mainly. The wigs come in literally every color under the sun including fluorescents and glow in the dark. They are cheep, $10.00-$14.00 each and one wig will make hundreds of flies.

Mark, in the lower 48 you can find/ buy them at dollar tree,.... for a dollar

No, mine are better. smile.png smile.png smile.png. No, I'm sure most of my cost was for the shipping to Alaska.

#26 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:34 PM

I've read of hair spray used as fixative and also of tyers that used hairspray on display flies. Someone talked about wetting marabou with hairspray and brushing it with a stiff tooth brush resulting in a heron substitute. 

I keep a can of the stuff in every vehicle in summer, it is the single best chigger killer and anti itch I've ever used.

#27 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:16 PM

tjm, it works for me, some of the head cements were too stiff and cracked when folding a wing.

#28 DFoster

DFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:55 PM

For what it's worth I just got a new iPhone and the glossy cellophane that it came wrapped in makes really nice shell bodies.   The stuff is definitely more difficult to tie with than thin skin but it's got a bright reflective quality to it.  The photo doesn't really capture the effect.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0062 (002).JPG
  • IMG_0057.JPG

And you thought golf was frustrating-

#29 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:03 PM

XauYmoe.jpg