Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Excise tax on fly tying material?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#16 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:13 AM

Printers are always a hassle.... That reminds me my 720 for this past quarter is coming up so it's time to do another one... Back when I was tying commercially I always billed my commercial clients with the excise shown separately so that they could re-coup it if the flies were subsequently exported... My retail customers (99% for lures not flies...) never even have a hint that I'm paying excise at all since it's not noted at all on their bills.

Speaking of that here's what I'm working on now... and will have 100 of them ready for a local shop in a day or so...

7f3nQwW.jpg

These are the heaviest of the bucktails I make - at one ounce each - locally they're called pilchard jigs...

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#17 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:04 AM

Those are some big looking 1 once jigs.

#18 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:22 PM

The heads are elongated and pretty flat.. The finished lures have a side to side action when allowed to sink - then jigged sharply back to the surface. They also work very well when heaved as far as possible and raced back to the boat when fish (dolphin, tuna, bluefish, and all of the mackerels...) are breaking at the surface...

We were using these forty years ago with plastic worms attached- long before butterfly jigs came along.

#19 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:08 PM

Aaaaaaaah, flat, that would explain why they look like 6 oncers. I like them. I've never fished a bucktail with that shape but I might have to give them a try. I fish a lot of bucktails in the river during the striper run. Those would be something different to our norm and might be the new secret weapon. Thanks for sharing.

#20 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:33 AM

Anyone interested in the leadheads and bucktail jigs I make to order... simply send an email request to [email protected] and you'll get an info sheet with photos and a price list by return mail.... Nothing is painted -all of the heads are powder coated and baked to harden the finish.  They're perfect for someone needing finished heads for tying up as bucktails the way they want them...

#21 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,363 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:18 AM

shouldnt your offer of selling your jigs be in the "trading floor" area of the forum?

The fish care less than we do!

#22 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:04 AM

shouldnt your offer of selling your jigs be in the "trading floor" area of the forum?

It's a one time mention ... in a thread that's not directly about fishing at all.   Not a big deal.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#23 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,363 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:32 AM

okay lets have everybody post items to sell here as a one time posting

ill bet it gets moved before anybody has a chance to respond smile.png

let one do it, let all do it

The fish care less than we do!

#24 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:06 AM

Locked.  

If anyone tries to sell anything on a forum other than "Trading Floor" ... that thread will be locked or deleted.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis