Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bass bug spinning hair

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 patze003

patze003

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:20 AM

Hi Folks,

What do you like for your bass bug and mouse patterns? Nature's Spirit sells "spinning hair" which looks like it is from the regular hide versus their "deer belly hair" which is belly hair dyed.

Also, Pat Cohen's site looks like it has nice spinning hair.

Any other sources?

#2 Al Beatty

Al Beatty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:01 AM

Hi patze003,

A taxidermist might be a good option. Just be sure the hair comes from the rib or belly of the animal as it is better for spinning. The hair along the backbone, over the shoulder and over the rump is better for wings & tail of hair-wing dry flies (Wulff, Humpy, Trudes, etc.). Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty
www.btsflyfishing.com

#3 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:03 AM

Hi Folks,

What do you like for your bass bug and mouse patterns? Nature's Spirit sells "spinning hair" which looks like it is from the regular hide versus their "deer belly hair" which is belly hair dyed.

Also, Pat Cohen's site looks like it has nice spinning hair.

Any other sources?

I, personally, use different hair for something like a mouse vs a spun/stacked bass bug.  For a spun or stacked bug like a popper or diver, I use deer belly hair.  I have no business ties to Pat Cohen, this is merely my opinion with no strings attached, the hair I have gotten from Pat is night and day better than anything else I have ordered.  My advice, if you're going to tie a lot of deer hair bugs, avoid the frustration and buy your belly hair from Pat.  I have found through a lot of experience and frustration that quality of materials makes a big difference.  Use the right stuff and your results are going to be better (good hair, the right thread, the right hook, etc...).  I have had good patches of hair and bad patches when not buying from Pat.  If you get a patch of really short belly hair, it's a lot harder to work with and I end up chucking it in the trash can.  I have not (knock on wood) had a bad patch from Cohen yet.  It's longer hair, easier to work with, and the colors are great.

When I'm tying a mouse, I use belly hair on the belly of the mouse (usually white), but use premo strip body hair for the top of the mouse.  But, it depends on how you choose to tie them.  If you do them more like Chris Helm did his mice, you can use belly hair for the whole thing because you'll trim away all the tips on the fly.  I keep the hair tips for my mice patterns, so I like the more natural look of body hair for them.  A premo strip will last you a LONG time, too.  I think they are around $12-13 but I have some I have tied on for multiple years.

Here's what Helm's mice look like:

Helm_Mouse_1(1024pw).jpg

#4 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:26 AM

I dont do a lot of deer hair spinning and I always tried to pass on those kind of orders as a commercial tyer since they were too time consuming... I'll second the belly hair for spinning though. As a saltwater guy I've always liked the belly hair since the dyed colors are always so much brighter...

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#5 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,734 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:22 AM

Cream does some of the best deer hair work I've ever seen.  If he recommends Cohen's site, that's where I'd go!

I don't do deer hair much, and what I do doesn't require top notch hair.  I just buy small patches from my local fly shop when I need some.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#6 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:37 AM

Strong +1 on belly hair from Pat Cohen's site. I have ordered it from him for years and have never been disappointed.

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#7 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:29 PM

With mice like that i think the question has been answered.