Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

long supply

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:02 PM

of tying feathers :)

turkey.jpg

The fish care less than we do!

#2 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:06 PM

I dried a skin from one I shot last spring unfortunately bugs got into as I just left it un-bagged in my shop if I get another this fall i'll be more careful with the skin.

#3 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:59 PM

Hi Norm, are those in your yard? Do you mind shooting one for me, skinning and salting it and sending it to me? I don't mind paying for the shipping.

Just kidding, I have two salted skins. Just trying to get the 'squatch to slap his head.

#4 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:26 PM

they were in my fathers yard. part of a rafter of about 26 or so that frequents his area

sorry but i dont own a gun and at my age i'm run too slow to catch them

7QMm.gif

The fish care less than we do!

#5 wr1nkles

wr1nkles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:50 AM

I have several turkey squads in my neighborhood, doesn't help my neighbor feeds the darn things. I can usually find a few wing feathers dropped around the neighborhood throughout the year, good enough for some muddler minnows. 

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

#6 xvigauge

xvigauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:06 AM

I dried a skin from one I shot last spring unfortunately bugs got into as I just left it un-bagged in my shop if I get another this fall i'll be more careful with the skin.

Treat the flesh side of the skin with powdered borax, let it dry and bugs will not bother it.

Joe

#7 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:43 AM

Treat the flesh side of the skin with powdered borax, let it dry and bugs will not bother it.

Joe

Or salt.

#8 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:51 PM

Joe

I boraxed it quite liberally including the feather side it was good for a few months at least but they got it around 8 or 9 months later if I remember right.