Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

specific colors for specific fish

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,736 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:50 AM

I can say with some confidence that the fish we encounter way up inside in freshwater areas -both saltwater and freshwater species mixed in together in winter, eat the exact same flies they do down in the salt each day....

Saltwater is.... different...

A little conflicted with your attitudes on salt water, Bob?  wink.png

From what I've seen of the flies tied here and elsewhere, other than the size of the flies, salt water and fresh water predators will take the same patterns almost without fail. 

Even size can be exactly the same, depending on which predator fish you're after.  Most of the Pike flies I've seen on this site are as large or larger than most of the salt water offerings.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#17 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:36 AM

Hooks for the salt are generally much stronger (they need to be...) and we use a bunch more attractor patterns (as long as you're not working bonefish or permit and other species up really shallow...).    My "match the hatch" efforts are mostly about size of the fly more than anything else...

Funny you should mention pike flies since my own Tarpon Snake has long been sold as a pike fly as well... It's even listed in their catalog as a Pike Snake these days (the last time I looked...) and I'm still drawing royalties on it...

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#18 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:31 PM

For LMB, where I fish, in stained to muddy water, yellow on top and purples deep. Bream seem to like reds and yellows. Black works for everything. Crappie switch from color to color.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach