Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Trying to find a tool that splits quill barbs evenly

Anyone know where I can find this tool (or any tool) that splits duck quill barbs into even parts? This came from Tim Cammasa's video on Tying a Quill Wing Dry Fly...

post-56493-0-85914400-1517181530_thumb.png

Joe: that's it! (especially the 2nd one, with the plates); however, it's too much money right now, and I think the draftsman dividers will do the same thing for less money...

Thank you both, I appreciate your time...

SD

The Thompson divider does more than just divide the quill. You lay a line of glue along the quill. The device splits the quills equally and tight at the base. Once dried you have a full quill feather with ready made wings. Just trim and attach. It is slick and fine for Fishing flies but you can certainly tie better wings just individually cutting them. If you would really like one I would be happy to send you mine. Just PM me.

Classic Fly Tyer has a video on the Thompson tool. I don't tie enough quill wings to want one, and when I do, I use a divider. Works just fine.

Gene L: I found that I don't really have the money for the Thompson tool at this time, even tho' I would love to have one... but I did go out into my shop this morning (34 degrees) and lo and behold I found an old pair of machinist's dividers I had purchased many years ago... and yes, they work just fine separating the barbs into "wings"... the only thing missing is the ability to crimp the base so the "wing" has a definitive separation at the base!

Interesting conversations... thanks everybody for participating... :-}

SD

Use a hook of the same model you are tying on, but one size smaller. Perfect wing slips.

post-43582-0-47494800-1517332959_thumb.jpg

All you have to do now is turn them into perfect wings.

Cheers,

C.

Herters had one (probably Thompson manufactured) you can make one with a balsa stick and common pins pushed through at the desired widths can make multiple pins and separate whole quills all spaced the same. used to make one for each size I was tying. now all i use are fine point drafting dividers.

spokane dude

I havn't seen that winging tool available in probably 40 years, but remember a fellow who had one - and it did work pretty slick

Use a hook of the same model you are tying on, but one size smaller. Perfect wing slips.

Wing Gauge.jpg

All you have to do now is turn them into perfect wings

Cheers,

C.

This one gets my vote, simple, effective, nothing new to buy...

just count the barbs. free

Exactly what I do. The wing dividers only work best for a specific size feather and a specific size wing.