Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Edward Snowden

line for Asquith

It depends on what kind of fishing and casting you intend to do. Are you fishing mostly dry flies, indicator nymphing, streamers, or a little of everything? Are you basically an overhead caster or do you do a lot of roll casting, close in or distance, do you want a specialty line or just a general all arounder?

Same line I recommend for all rods.

$10.00 on Ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

I'm curious how it works out having 2 loops at both ends?

It's two, two, two loops in one !!! dry.png Perhaps, most are too young to remember that reference.

The inner core is looped and the outer covering is looped, so it LOOKS like one loop, but it's actually two. tongue.png wink.png

I rarely use backing, so I usually end up cutting the reel end loop off.

I know it's April 1st, but putting a $10 fly line with 30 year old taper design on a $1000 fly rod is silliness. I used to use cheap fly lines, they were very similar to the exensive ones, maybe a little less durable but with very similar tapers. That has changed, and I've changed my tune too. Fly line technology in the last decade or more has advanced greatly, not in the waterials used, that hasn't changed much, but in tapers and weight.

If you only make medium length casts and cast overhead most of the time those cheap lines might serve you well, but that's not what you experience on most trout streams on a daily basis. If you want to unlock the potential in that rod designed by one of the world's greatest casters and rod designers you owe it to yourself to pair it with an equally well designed line.

You can always contact Loomis and ask what line they would pair it with. Most high end rods are designed with a specific line, and although it won't be the only line that will cast well with that rod it's a good place to start.

It's two, two, two loops in one !!! dry.png Perhaps, most are too young to remember that reference.

The inner core is looped and the outer covering is looped, so it LOOKS like one loop, but it's actually two. tongue.png wink.png

I rarely use backing, so I usually end up cutting the reel end loop off.

Second loop is handy if you have backing because then you could use a bimini (or even a perfection loop) to join line to backing, allowing you to change lines quickly. More useful in saltwater than anywhere else.

With regards to the OP's question, take a look at this discussion: https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/6-weight-shootout-douglas-sky-g-loomis-asquith-g-loomisnrx-scott-radian-loop-cross-sx-orvish2-douglas-dxf-hardy-zephrus-scott-meridian-loomis-pro4x-winston-air/g-loomis-asquith-9-6. They seem to like one of the many 1/2 overweighted lines that are so popular these days, so this must be a pretty fast rod. Something like a Rio Grand would probably be a reasonable choice, or as the article recommends, a SA MPX would work as well.

Have to agree with Spiralspey. There are a lot of good lines out there and if you made the investment in the rod, you really should get a decent line to match. YMMV.

Thanks. I had decided to call Loomis. I think they like the SA Mastery line, as I have read that they tested the rods with that. But, Telluride Anglers, in their revue of the Asquith, said they preferred Rio Gold on the 5 weight. My buddy just got the 5 weight and I thought I might do a little research for him as I think I might be a little smitten when his new rod arrives.

And yes, on the tight, little streams we prefer, overhead casts are something to read about, not employ as a regular tactic. Probably 65% of the time sidearm casts, 35% of the time roll casts, and 2% of the time an overhead cast is possible.

Yeah, I did the math, it's just that I always have more fun than I should when I go fishing.

I'm not clear on how side arm casts differ from over head casts in line requirements, isn't the motion the same just in a different plane?

Whether fishing with a cheap or expensive line, a wise, but burdensome task, is to properly clean the line after every trip to keep the line slick and dirt/grim free. That is, I'd rather be fishing with a clean, slick $10 line than with a worn, gummy $100 line. Also, if fishing near docks, oyster bars, riprap, etc., I'd rather have a hooked fish shred a $10 line than a $100 line. Actually, my own experience, as a non-pro, is that I instinctively adjust my cast to meet the requirements of the line (and rod being used), and, as a result, my casts are pretty much the same no matter what line/rod combination is used. Yes, there are certain rod/line combinations that might feel a little better, but after 30 minutes of casting the differences usually disappear as long as the rod and line meet minimal standards of performance. The trick is to focus on casting tight loops either overhead or side arm with the rod and line combination you have at hand. An excellent backcast will help you throw a clean $10 line nearly as well as a clean $100 line.

One very convenient way to help keep your line clean is to use throw away towelettes in individual pouches after every outing. I think Rio and Sci Anglers market them, but they aren't easy to find.

Some of my Sci Anglers lines, especially the saltwater lines, are more than 2 decades old and still fish great.

I'm going to hijack this thread, since Ed decided to contact Loomis.

On the back of Bob's comments ... I have a question:

What do you use to clean/condition your fly lines? I can remember my Dad using Crisco. He would clean the line with dish soap about once a season or so. (We weren't "avid" fly anglers ... just doing it once in a while)

Then he would run one rag with a gob of Crisco down the line ... followed with a cleaner rag to wipe off the excess.

What I DON'T remember, is whether there were any negative side effects of this. I do remember going fishing, and having the line float like a cork.

Anyway, are there any fly line conditioning agents that weren't originally for that purpose?

post-63510-0-10595700-1554224610_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

Today my favorite way to quickly clean a fly line is to use Rio's towelette (see photo). A few wipes through the entire line after fishing usually cleans it pretty well. If I have more time, or after the end of a multiple-day fishing trip, I do a more complete cleaning following Sci Anglers instructions about soaking line in soapy water, using a scuff pad to clean line, and then applying Sci Anglers line dressing. See the photo.