Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Two classic salmon flies

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:17 AM

Needed some time a way from tying swap flies and flies for customers.Whipped out a couple of favorite classics.

The first is a Green Highlander tied Kelson style.Its been a VERY long time since I tied one!The pattern has all the called for feather except for Indian crow (I have some but I'm saving it for a special occasion).

The second is Blackers Number One for the River Bann.Nothing fancy about it.I just love blacker flies!

Next endeavor is a Golden Parson.I just have to hunt down some Cock of the Rock feathers...which have become exceedingly rare as of late!

All the best!Steve

Attached Files

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#2 Henry Denson

Henry Denson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:02 AM

Those look great! I currently am working on a green highlander now, but need to wait for some wing materials. There are definitely things that I would have liked to do different. Attached File  25AE6E87-D49C-48CB-995B-D51340FEFDA5.jpeg   107.34KB   0 downloads

I like blacker flies too. I tried a Celebrated Claret fly the other day, but am not entirely happy with it.

#3 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:37 PM

Not a bad start to a beautiful fly!I want to see pictures when it's done!
What went wrong on your Blacker?
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret

#4 Henry Denson

Henry Denson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:25 AM

Thank you!

The hackle on the fly is supposed to be palmered down the body, but I couldnt find my claret hackle, so I had to tie it with a throat hackle when I did find it. My main issue is with the barred wood duck sides. They were a little tricky to tie in, but I eventually made them work. The problem is, when I tightened my whip finish, the sides exploded. I ended up just cutting them off. Attached File  3FEFD38B-7303-4BD4-ACAE-FD1ECDCEDABA.jpeg   132.89KB   2 downloads

#5 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,140 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:08 PM

Awesome work both of you. I just haven't the patience to get these flies tied. 

Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#6 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:25 PM

Thank you!
The hackle on the fly is supposed to be palmered down the body, but I couldnt find my claret hackle, so I had to tie it with a throat hackle when I did find it. My main issue is with the barred wood duck sides. They were a little tricky to tie in, but I eventually made them work. The problem is, when I tightened my whip finish, the sides exploded. I ended up just cutting them off. attachicon.gif3FEFD38B-7303-4BD4-ACAE-FD1ECDCEDABA.jpeg

I have never put a while finish in one of these flies before.You should be able to get by with a half hitch before you lacquer the head.

Awesome work both of you. I just haven't the patience to get these flies tied.

Thank you,sir!
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret

#7 Henry Denson

Henry Denson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

You say youre looking for Cock of the Rock? Here is some on e-bay, seems like a good deal, but the feathers seem more red than the usual orange.

https://m.ebay.com/i...LUAAOSwfHBa1~qH

#8 Henry Denson

Henry Denson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:59 AM

Here are some others, see also the black Indian crow. http://webshop.salmo...ml?currency=USD

#9 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:46 PM

Thanks for the heads up Henry!
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret