Fly Tying
salarfishing

Some "double troubles"

Thanks gents. Artimus, I sometimes use double on fly sizes 6 or smaller, and mostly size 8 or smaller. Small flies sometimes skim on the surface and the doubles tend to stay under the surface better especially if the current is swifter. Also, the fly rides better and stays straight than with the smaller sizes. They also hook up better and in my opinion, because they hook solidly, it creates less damage to the fish...they don't tear the flesh like a small hook can do with strong fighting fish like salmon. I use primarily only doubles on with my tube flies - keeps the fly straight and real solid hookups.

Piker might chime in on it as well...I think where he fishes they allow treble hooks as well. Where I fish in Quebec and New Brunswick Canada, the max allowed is double hooks.

Yup, 90% of my wet flies are tied on doubles. They also go a bit deeper (heavier) which is sometimes an advantage. There is talk about banning them here in Quebec. That would suck as I'd have to replace hundreds of $$ in flies...

Nice ties by the way!

Simon

Yup, 90% of my wet flies are tied on doubles. They also go a bit deeper (heavier) which is sometimes an advantage. There is talk about banning them here in Quebec. That would suck as I'd have to replace hundreds of $$ in flies...

Nice ties by the way!

Simon

You can probably sell them in lots on E-bay ... does Canada participate in E-bay? At least you could sell them.

If you're like 90% of the people on this site, any reason to tie up some more flies is a good reason, no?

Salar, I'm just getting back into fly fishing, more particularly Salmon, after 25 years. I'm hitting the Bonaventure this summer for a week. Can't wait! Once in Gaspesie, there are many options within a few hours drive in case the conditions of the Bonaventure are bad...

Mike, you're probably right that l could sell them on ebay Canada. I really enjoy tying, but having young kids, tying 1 or 2 flies a night is considered productive for me! Replacing my collection would be very long...