Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Strong with the force I am

ZxMDoz.jpg

V9hJPN.jpg

h5nwcb.jpg

vSKpbh.jpg

A "Rebel Alliance" grip that I have been working on today for a Star Wars themed fly rod a customer has me building for him. People won't fish in your spot for long when they see ya coming downstream with a friggin' light saber in hand!biggrin.png

Not my taste, especially with the silly logo and stuff, but again I'm not a Star Wars fan. So I'm guessing this is a light saber? Either way it is pretty cool. Again, not my taste. But cool at the same time. But I think I would like it a lot if it wasn't so flashy, like a matt carbon fiber, just the darker gray fiber... neat idea, and I'm thinking backpacking rods to lower the weight. How is it on durability?

While it is not something I personally would want for my own fly rod I simply fail to see why people have to go out of their way to say things that are negative. Not only is that insulting to the person that has saved up their money to purchase something that obviously means a lot to them(this particular customer has been planning this build for 2 years now) but you guys know some of my customers are members here and they will see these replies from you guys. Not to mention it's also a bit insulting to me as well after I have put quite a lot of work into something like this because this is not something you can just run out and buy for a build.

Some people like flashy things while others don't, some people like dark burl cork while others like plain cork, some people like certain colors while others hate that same color, everyone likes different things so if it's not your taste that is perfectly fine, but no need to post negative things. You can still appreciate the work that has been put into something as well as the persons vision and not have to go out of your way to tell someone you don't like it because it's not your taste.

Is the blank bright green too? Maybe phosphorescent green paint on the bottom section for night fishing? All kinds of fun possibilities.

It's a black Matrix blank with the carbon fiber twill on the butt section so the blank will match the black carbon fiber in the grip. Then he wants me to do some neon green marbling from in front of the grip out as far as I can do it so I'll probably end up marbling about 6-8" out in front of the grip on the blank for him.

While it is not something I personally would want for my own fly rod I simply fail to see why people have to go out of their way to say things that are negative. Not only is that insulting to the person that has saved up there money to purchase something that obviously means a lot to them(this particular customer has been planning this build for 2 years now) but you guys know some of my customers are members here and they will see these replies from you guys. Not to mention it's also a bit insulting to me as well after I have put quite a lot of work into something like this because this is not something you can just run out and buy for a build.

Some people like flashy things while others don't, some people like dark burl cork while others like plain cork, some people like certain colors while others hate that same color, everyone likes different things so if it's not your taste that is perfectly fine, but no need to post negative things. You can still appreciate the work that has been put into something as well as the persons vision and not have to go out of your way to tell someone you don't like it because it's not your taste.

Steve, I'm sorry I wasn't trying to be negative, just simply saying it's not my taste... like I said though it is really cool! And honestly I'd like to talk to you about doing something like that on a backpacking rod (since it's light weight). Of course I would want a different pattern (not that this is bad but again just not my taste)

My dad likes wood trim in his car, something he always gets. I don't like it, and I would never put it in my car. It's just not my taste. That doesn't mean I think my dads $60k Lexus Is a bad car, or ugly. I think the wood trim is cool, just not MY taste. Still it's an awesome car. I usually go with the carbon fiber trims in cars. However I have a used Subaru with 185k miles on it. I bought it at a good deal and it runs like a champ. It has wood trim. But I still love the car despite this. Not MY choice in trim, but still like the car because it's reliable, is an off-roading beast, and lets me do some things that my previous VW wouldn't let me do. So again, no problem with having different tastes... doesn't mean I think any less of this rod. I actually think it's really really cool! However it's just not "my" taste.

I hope that makes sense. I meant no harm, and actually really admire the rod and craftsmanship... I still don't know though (since I'm not a Star Wars fan) is that a light saber handle or something? I saw you say "the force is with me...". Just wondering if that's what it's supposed to resemble. If so, that's actually really awesome!

Speaking as a Hoosier (which I was but ain't now) ... when we drove across the State line to see Gramma and Grampa ... we noticed all the trees were leaning to the West. It was quite obvious to ALL of us, those trees were trying to LEAVE Ohio to get to Indiana !!!

Blue and "Corn" ... what kind of color combination is that ???

wink.png