Fly Tying

Carp fishing is said to be similar to bonefish fishing, just without the pristine water and beautiful tropical flats. They spook easy, require light line, delicate presentations, and smaller flies. Also they feel like you hooked into a freight train when you get one on the line! They are absolutely one of the most rewarding freshwater species to target with a fly rod. If you haven't carp fished before, you are definitely missing out.

Where I went were a few small lakes right off of the San Juan River which is one of the best trout fisheries in the United States. However these lakes are pretty unknown to the general public, and there are some monster carp in there. My largest I have caught was a 30" carp when I was fishing a 5wt rod. I felt like I was going to break the rod due to that one fighting so hard. That fish took me 21 minutes to bring in, and has to be one of the hardest fights I have ever had on a fly rod. Of course this fish was only 20" or so, and I was using a 6wt rod, so he was much easier to bring in. It only took me 2 minutes on this last fish, because I could put a bit of backbone into him. Overall though, any carp is fun and enjoyable to fish for. The fights are epic, and its very tough to hook them. Lots of hiding, sneaking, and crouching while casting.

thanks for that...about the little scud I mean and the hook bending.

I was able to cast to a few (without spooking) yesterday

but could not get a bite, most likely due to oversized offerings.

they were monsters!

also yesterday I was told by a IDNR biologist, whom just happened to be there,

who asked me some questions, to "NOT release them because they are invasive".

but boy, did I ask him a bunch of questions!!!

nothing like good local info!

(I actually took out my pocket notebook and took notes)

:)

now I know a decent little pond that is catch and release only for

some better action on many species.

and a better bass pond that is next it that one, only a 45 minute drive away.

xterra, where was this that the biologist told you not to return them?

They are tough to hook man... Might have been the size of the fly, or it might have been the fact that they are really really tough fish to hook. Ive casted to 50+ carp with flies I've gotten bites on, and sometimes they take it, sometimes not. Its just about casting to the right one, that is willing to eat I think.

Kind of the reverse of catch and release and Large Mouth Bass. There are those who argue that catch and release doesn't truly impact the overall populations.

Is the "take and kill" policy truly putting any dent in the overall population of Common Carp? I rather doubt it.

a smaller county forest preserve fishing pond near Chicago (near ohare airport).

I have heard that its recommended that they (carp) be left on the shore for the wildlife to consume

but info listed in the rules and regs state that you are not suppose to leave carcasses on forest

preserve property.....go figure.

I would also love to take some of the trash out with me some jerks leave behind

but if I get caught with empty beer cans and bottles I will be fined.....so I have to look at it and leave it.

I blame the boy scouts for screwing me up.

a smaller county forest preserve fishing pond near Chicago (near ohare airport).

I have heard that its recommended that they (carp) be left on the shore for the wildlife to consume

but info listed in the rules and regs state that you are not suppose to leave carcasses on forest

preserve property.....go figure.

I would also love to take some of the trash out with me some jerks leave behind

but if I get caught with empty beer cans and bottles I will be fined.....so I have to look at it and leave it.

I blame the boy scouts for screwing me up.

You have empty beer cans with you and your fined? If you don't litter, how can they fine you? I'm happy I'm in a state that doesn't fine me for being a decent human. Haha

some county forest preserves prohibit alcohol.

I wish I didn't live in the most corrupted state in the U.S.

the state where our governors make our license plates.

I have that on a tee-shirt!

some county forest preserves prohibit alcohol.

I wish I didn't live in the most corrupted state in the U.S.

the state where our governors make our license plates.

I have that on a tee-shirt!

Oh ok, so you can't just explain you were picking up trash? Like can't they take a breath test to know you weren't drinking it? Or are they that corrupt they don't care and looking to take your money anyway

the preserve law officers that know me would be ok with it probably, others would just write a ticket and want to search my truck.

out of the 27, I know maybe 3 or 4, not a risk I would take, possession is 9/10ths of the law.

its not that the officers are corrupt, some may be a little tough and I understand why.

Chicago stats.....

just google heyjackass.com

year to date

478 shot and killed

2302 shot and wounded

2780 total shot

515 total homicides

Yeah Chicago is a rough place for sure man. I have heard of some bad stuff. Like I said, I'm lucky where I live, they are really relaxed and understanding here.

Mcfly,

I have been watching your tying vids.

Awesome!!!!!

For some reason I didn't connect that Mcfly Angler and Mcfly Lures are one in the same ...LOL sorry man.

I am so completely in awe of the talents on this site, I now understand that FTF has imo many

true artists or masters and innovators of tying.

geez....I don't think I could find a better site to further my abilities, be around

pro competent tier's and darn cool gents.

thank you....All.

ps

I just received my order from FTD and will start more patters soon.

Mcfly,

I have been watching your tying vids.

Awesome!!!!!

For some reason I didn't connect that Mcfly Angler and Mcfly Lures are one in the same ...LOL sorry man.

I am so completely in awe of the talents on this site, I now understand that FTF has imo many

true artists or masters and innovators of tying.

geez....I don't think I could find a better site to further my abilities, be around

pro competent tier's and darn cool gents.

thank you....All.

ps

I just received my order from FTD and will start more patters soon.

Thanks man! thats nice of you to say.

I started off my channel as just fly tying, and "McFly Flies" was not available for a URL. So I went with McFly Lures.... Then, I started the fishing show, and changed it to McFly Angler. Sorry for the confusion.

Everyone here is awesome for sure! Definitely some talented people. Most are wayyyyy more talented than me.