Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Old Hat

Tenkara Bonefish in the Keys

Yeah, I can't watch it, since I am not on faceplant.

I was fishing Palatlakaha Lake (Clermont). (more than a decade ago) It is a small body between two larger lakes. The shoreline is covered in Kissimmee Grass. I tied a twirl tail jig on 3 feet of line on a 16' cane pole. I would slowly scull the boat along, while swimming that jig out in front of the boat, just at the weed edges or dipping it into holes. Every once in a while, I'd hook something huge. Usually, that ended up with the fish bee lining straight away from the shore and snapping the braided line when I couldn't turn them.

I am thinking that hooking a bonefish on a cane pole would work the same way.

Bonefish in the Keys are tough enough as it is without going fancy about it.... Getting a fly to one of those very educated fish is an achievement - doing it without spooking one - that's an accomplishment all by itself... Bones under ten pounds will burn almost 100 yards before stopping when hooked - then you're going to be working them back in. Bonefish over ten pounds will burn off a hundred yards, pause for a moment so you think you've turned it - then start their second hundred yards.... Your backing will be dragging the bottom on that second hundred, guaranteed....

Bones under ten pounds will burn almost 100 yards before stopping when hooked ...

Bonefish over ten pounds ... then start their second hundred yards ...

THAT'S why I don't bother trying to salt water fish. That doesn't even sound like fun, to me.

Just thinking of reeling in 200 yards of line (without fighting a fish) is enough to turn me away.

I like fly fishing, setting the hook, admiring or keeping a pretty fish and then fly fishing some more.

Muscles burning and aching sound more like work than fishing.

Mike's right - it's just a fancy name for pole fishing. Looks like about as much fun as competing in a bass tournament. Without the exciting runs that bonefish provide, you might as well be fishing for eels or bluegills.