Fly Tying
Galdrin

Wax for flytying

As so often with me one thing leads to another. In my case flytying lead to researching wax used for flytying and recently I have noticed that I spend more time on wax related subjects than on flytying :) I just had to post this for all those that thinks that wax is wax and there is nothing more to it. In my flytying I now use classic Cobblers wax (or handwax as it's also called), a modern variant of cobblers that doesn't tint the thread and a variant of Fraser Sandemans wax as described in his book from 1894 that is much softer and suitable for dubbing while still holding a large portion of rosin.

post-56655-0-84920800-1464628788_thumb.jpg

Most of my dubbing I actually do without wax. But I was strugeling a bit with tying down feathers, tinsel and such and this is where I found that the wax with a high part of rosin did wonders for me.

I have personally never used wax before.Like most I simply just spin on to thread.That being said,Davie McPhail uses wax constantly on just about everything I've seen him tie.Looks like he uses it when he finishes lashing down certain materials that slip.I'm considering giving it a shot.

Just don't forget to tie a fly buddy.OR else everyone will think you're a boring nut who's obsessed with the inanimate!Just messing with ya!

Did some research for ya-He said that he uses Veniards Prepared fly tying wax.He will run warm tap water on it until it becomes soft enough to pull off a button sized piece.Then knead it with your fingers until it becomes tacky and sticks to his finger.It's there when he needs it and the warmth of his finger keeps it soft as well.Hope this helps a bit buddy

I bought a stick of dubbing wax probably 30 years ago, it's barely touched but it is of the sticky variety ( I'm not opening my fly box to look at the brand, when I do I will post it maybe). Anyway, like others, it was McPhail that turned me on to using wax in tying slippery materials down or otherwise unruly . Oh you can do it without, just as you can do it without flat thread. But combine those two and it immediately comes to light how no wonder he ties as he does, it's part of his gig and it works. He is one of the best tiers in the world, why would I not take his advise, was my thought process. So I went with flat thread and a little wax in those situations and sure enough it became "easier". Dah ! That said , I rarely use wax for dubbing, I do spin my dubbing though much as Norm Norlander would do ( some times, not all the time, and no I do not own a Norvise, you really don't have to spin that fast just steady).

I have personally never used wax before.Like most I simply just spin on to thread.That being said,Davie McPhail uses wax constantly on just about everything I've seen him tie.Looks like he uses it when he finishes lashing down certain materials that slip.I'm considering giving it a shot.

Wax has several uses besides dubbing (for which it's seldom needed):As other have mentioned, it's helpful for slippery materials.

If you tie with silk thread, you pretty much need it just start the thread on the hook. Well waxed thread makes the use of head cement redundant. It's also used to add color to silk threads. If you're tying without a bobbin (as was common when I took up tying) it hold the thread in place without having to half-hitch after every material.