Fly Tying
mikechell

Chell's Pearl Minnow

Simple, inexpensive, easy and quick ... and I think they'll be a hit with the fish.

Minimal materials. Thread will show through, go hot or go natural ... your choice.

Start thread at hook eye and wrap to hook bend. Tie in flat braid and wrap thread back to hook eye.

Wrap braid to hook eye and tie in. Be sure braid is trapped on top of the hook.

Trim braid to two hook lengths and comb out. Hold combed out fiber back over the body and tie in. Wrap thread to width of bead chain eyes.

Figure eight bead chain eyes on. Use whip finisher to complete last several figures eights.

Apply head cement, nail polish or what ever sealant/resin/head cement you like.

Nice mike, sometimes things can be simple! This should be a hit with the gills!

When you get a second pop over to my thread about bass and gill flies and give a few recommendations if you dont mind, I know you got some favorites you catch all them fish with!

Rich covered it on how I fished it. Pictures are posted on the "Fish Pictures" thread. All of my fish were on the minnow. It was durable, too, as I only used one all morning.

Rich caught his on the Wee Willy Wiggler variation.

the bead chain makes the fly ride hook up, right? I assume the red represents the belly? So I would tie the white sing under the hook; when fished the hook turns point up, white wing is on top?

The hook rides down, Mcfish.

The only weight on this fly is the eyes and the hook. The eyes are tied right at the front, and with the wing on the back, the hook is down. The fly is very light, and doesn't sink fast enough to worry about snags too much. I fish it a little faster than I do my flies that do ride hook point up ... keeping it in the upper 2 feet or so of shallow water areas.

On this fly, the eyes are for "glint" and head down "dive" ... not to invert the hook point.

What size hook is that, in that it is not inverted by the bead chain eyes?

I'm not looking to cause a problem, but as one who has tyed a whole lot of bead chain streamers over the last 35 years, I would be very surprised if that streamer didn't invert.

For that fly move through the water column and not to invert, then either that wing has buoyancy, the hook is fairly heavy, or the bean chain is extremely light.

To be on the safe side, I would tie the eye below the hook shaft...

Tight lines...

I used a size 10 for those flies, bowfin. I never even thought about which way it would ride.

When I tied them, I was just going for a small fry look. I didn't care whether they inverted in use, or not. I got the "or not", since they definitely ride hook down through the water.