Fly Tying
gatorjoe

Senko Imitation

Very cool design. You might try gluing a small piece of foam to the tail to make it hang off the bottom. Add's a little more action, and the fish go nuts for it.

Very cool design. You might try gluing a small piece of foam to the tail to make it hang off the bottom. Add's a little more action, and the fish go nuts for it.

Actually the red on the back is mcfly foam tied in with the dubbing loop. It has great action. I know it works, we've fished it. The way its tied, stays weedless until you set the hook and then the tail moves out of the way so the hook can penetrate. I was getting hits on this fly the week before everything froze up here in colorado

How do you keep the tail in place? Can you show a close up pic of how it's tied in on the hook? Is the front and back tied together or separately?

Thanks, I know it's been a while since the original post. Maybe someone else out there can help.

My guess would be a orthodontic rubber band ... tiny rubber bands used to draw braced teeth into new positions.

I would be interested to see if it has the same fall flutter that the senko is famous for.

I would be interested to see if it has the same fall flutter that the senko is famous for.

It wouldn't, Zip. The distinctive wobble of a soft plastic stick bait is what makes them so deadly.

This is not a "Senko" as much as it is just a plastic worm imitation.

If you spent time with foam and lead you could create a fly to fall or suspend at any rate you fancied.

I'm not really sure why people make a fly version of plastic worms instead of just using a worm. They are light enough to cast on the fly rod.

I'm not really sure why people make a fly version of plastic worms instead of just using a worm.

I feel this way about all "lure mimic" flies. No need for a "Zara Spook" or "spinner bait" when you can fish with an actual one. If you limit yourself to fly fishing, then limit yourself to flies, too.

Actually, when you get to 5 and 6 inch "Senko" styles, you couldn't use a fly rod. Even if you did get it airborne, you couldn't cast it without ripping it off the hook. They get somewhat heavy in larger sizes.

I'm not really sure why people make a fly version of plastic worms instead of just using a worm.

I feel this way about all "lure mimic" flies. No need for a "Zara Spook" or "spinner bait" when you can fish with an actual one. If you limit yourself to fly fishing, then limit yourself to flies, too.

Actually, when you get to 5 and 6 inch "Senko" styles, you couldn't use a fly rod. Even if you did get it airborne, you couldn't cast it without ripping it off the hook. They get somewhat heavy in larger sizes.

Depends on where you live and how good the fishing is, we don't have all that much public water here, if I'm casting and not catching as is often the case I'd rather use a fly rod I'm really not going to get much better at casting a spinning rod.

I'm going to have to see what I can come up with since my fishing buddies are getting into wacky rigging and drop shotting. There are senkos out there that are 3 inches long. I did come across some at a fishing flea market that had a mesh in the middle which made it more durable for a wacky rig and a mesh in the nose if you decided it to fish it straight. I've played at making flies that imitate some of my favorite lures. Zara Spooks, Hula Poppers, Tiny Torpedoes, Rapala minnows, even a Wood Chopper. Those have worked for me. The problem most fly tyers make is that they tie them on hooks design for flies. I had to make my own shanks when I was fooling around with them. It's easier today with articulated shanks.