Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

The brand new Redington Butterstick!

The Redington butterstick has been one of the leading glass rods out on the market. It always had decent sales compared to other brands rods, and it always was pretty good. However they changed it this year, and I believe they hit it out of the park! Absolutely one of my favorite rods for fishing small creeks and streams.

So, generally with glass rods you loose accuracy, distance, and generally get a heavier rod. Not so with this new butterstick. This is hands down the most accurate rod at shorter distances I have ever used. Now being glass you still arent going to get a rod that will cast 100 feet with ease, but you are getting a rod that can cast further than most glass rods out on the market. And surprisingly this is very light weight, with a super light swing weight. I mean, there isn't a rod out there that I think would do better within 30 feet, casting small dry flies and nymphs than this rod. For small creek fishing around my area, I would rather have this rod than a $900 sage x, Scott Radian, or Orvis Helios 3. And that is saying a lot since they are all very excellent rods! And this is only $250 which is a whole lot cheaper.
So what this rod can do is cast accurately, with a light swing weight at shorter distances. All for a pretty good price at just $250. It is great for dry fly fishing and smaller nymph rigs. Their lineup while somewhat limited, does have in my opinion perfect lengths for each weight they offer. It is also very durable, and very unlikely to break on you.
What this rod doesn't do is cast large streamers or poppers, any fly with weight, or long distance casting of any sort. This is not a rod that is going to bomb a stimulator 100 feet across a large river to a rising trout. For that, stick with a rod like the Sage X.

Good review, thank you! This is one of the rods I'm eyeballing for next spring, to fill the spot vacated by a beloved 8'6" 4-5 wt. that broke on me a couple of years ago. That was a graphite rod, but it had just a lovely silky-smooth progressive action, very reminiscent of the old Winston Wt series if you ever cast one of those. Sadly, the blank my rod was built on isn't available anymore. I tried a Sage SLT to replace it, but that still wasn't quite right. I'm thinking glass might be the answer. I'm considering the Butter Stick 8' 5wt. the Fenwick Fennglass 7'6" 4 wt. Anyway thanks for the review, it was helpful. 🙂👍

Good review, thank you! This is one of the rods I'm eyeballing for next spring, to fill the spot vacated by a beloved 8'6" 4-5 wt. that broke on me a couple of years ago. That was a graphite rod, but it had just a lovely silky-smooth progressive action, very reminiscent of the old Winston Wt series if you ever cast one of those. Sadly, the blank my rod was built on isn't available anymore. I tried a Sage SLT to replace it, but that still wasn't quite right. I'm thinking glass might be the answer. I'm considering the Butter Stick 8' 5wt. the Fenwick Fennglass 7'6" 4 wt. Anyway thanks for the review, it was helpful.

I can heartily recommend the 8' 5wt Butterstick. Very smooth to cast, easily lays out 60' casts, and roll casts surprisingly well.

Yes I 2nd that, the butterstick is amazing. My 4wt might not easily make 60 foot casts like the 5wt would but its smoooth! Like really smooth to cast, and my most accurate rod within 40 feet. Seriously, my buddy owns a sage x, and he was trying my rod, and was way more accurate with the butterstick. Of corse it was close casts on a tiny stream.