Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Saltybum

Baitfish SBS picture heavy

Since I'll be fishing in mostly 14-20 inches of water I opted for a Mustad C47 1/0 shrimp hook which is a lighter wire to slow the sinking rate of the fly. A short shank hook keeps me from using too much material but use what hooks you like.

I start with a wrap of 4lb test mono and wrap back to hook point where I start to tying. Next is a sparse hank of your preferred material. In this case I'm using SF Flash Blends. You can see in the photo the amount which is also cut in half first. As I progress I cut hanks in thirds then quarters closer to the hook eye. Tiny bit of superglue in between hanks on the threads is a good idea too.

About half way I tied in a small piece of pink for gills at a 45 then fold it back on the opposite side. Red or hot pink can be used as well..

A little more green on the back and white on the belly and it's ready for the scissors.

At this point it's important to brush the fibers out well to slowly start on the profile. Notice I don't brush them back toward the tail but out from the hook shank like a fan. After the first trim I'll start brushing back lightly to get a feel for bulk and final shape.

Remember, trim a little each time. You can always trim more off but you can't put any back on. Sharp scissors are a must and I always trim from the rear, scissors pointing forward. Trim sides as well as top and bottom.

Notice the shots showing the transparency with my finger and pencil behind the fly. I believe this also helps the action to swim with the thinner material in the tail. For mullet I like the head slightly fuller to push a little water as well and don't think transparency is as important up front unless you're tying a glass minnow.

Once satisfied it's time for what ever eyes you like. A fish will knock then off, but easy to glue new ones on again.

Last shot shows finished size.

This is my first attempt at doing an SBS. Hope it makes sense to everyone. When fly catches a fish I'll post it up too.

There are other methods and techniques to tie baitfish but this is the one I use most often.

post-44758-0-78059500-1424639329_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-48687000-1424639350_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-13976400-1424639368_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-02283300-1424639386_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-43350200-1424639406_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-60864500-1424639427_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-55124400-1424639445_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-05177100-1424639462_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-59348400-1424639474_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-83338200-1424639487_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-54151500-1424639514_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-43690400-1424639527_thumb.jpg

Not bad for a first time. I've actually been thinking about doing some of those, now I know how.

I usually load all my pictures first (at the bottom).

Then I'll type some instruction, hit enter and "add" the first picture.

Hit enter twice and type some more instructions, hit enter and "add" the next picture.

Continue with each instruction followed by it's picture.

But it worked your way, too.

Nice Fly ... and thank you.

Please do not take this 'too' negatively but.... should it be tied more sparsely? I haven't tied with such materials lately and I remember being too heavy handed and using way too much. You aren't THAT heavily material-ed but... should it be a little 'thinner' of a material? Just an observation that may not be right on the mark - just asking. I CAN see through it but....

BCT

Awesome job, Saltybum! One of my favorite baitfish patterns to tie, but mid usually don't come out nearly as nice. Personally, I think this one is perfect. It is sparse enough in the back end to be translucent but heavy enough at the head to push water. Also, Flash Blend doesn't shed water and float in the same way as EP fibers so it will certainly sink.

Appears that agn54 understands perfectly.Thanks . As originally stated I am sight fishing fishing VERY shallow water and don't want this dragging the bottom while trying to entice a jumbo seatrout's interest. Also why I chose the C47 shrimp hook which is quite light compared to a C68 hook because I need this to sink very slow for it's particular application. Most of the finger mullet on the flats are not hugging the bottom either.

Sorry if I did not make this clear in the text above.

I will post the results, hopefully later today.

Who's next now with their SBS? I would love to see more posted here. Shrimp any one. Blaminack?

Here is one I did using pretty much the same method as Saltybum. Only difference is I was going for a pinfish type profile, which are abundant on our flats in the summer. I used Slinky fiber, which is just Flash Blend without the flash. I added some polar flash to give it a flashy tail and center line. I have a much more slender head because I want it to sink a bit, and pinfish don't push water the way mullet do. I also used a light wire Mustad Mosquito hook and the UV epoxy head will make it nose dive a bit. I prefer my pinfish to always nose dive since i have watched them under water with a mask and snorkel and they often feed on the grass tops with their tail in the air, almost like a redfish. I'll see if I can put together an SBS on something later on this evening.

post-18514-0-95397900-1424702102_thumb.jpg post-18514-0-40049600-1424702111_thumb.jpg

Headed out today with the fly above.

Winds were cooperative today but it was hit and miss with sunlight. Did manage to find a couple critics though. In poor light saw a couple reds right off and too close. They headed out from me so I started blind casting in the direction they went. Shortly I had number one.

No sooner than I first one off and ready I saw a flash about 50' away and fired it over there and instantly had number two. A charter Capt.

I know was pretty close so I waded over and had him take pictures of it. First one was 24" number two 28".

Lost a real nice black drum on a small dark fly. Hook pulled, would have been my first. Very thankful for a nice time wading today and the water temp was nice w/o waders.

I guess it works, as verified by the critics that matter.

post-44758-0-43912300-1424722084_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-13509100-1424722099_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-76994300-1424722713_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-50476900-1424722736_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-88899000-1424722752_thumb.jpg

Pictures like yours, Salty, almost make me want to go saltwater fishing ... almost.

Nice reds ... good results on a good fly.

That was awesome Salty! nice close to the story with fish! I will gleen alot from this thread. I 've got to wait for the defrost button to kick in before i can fish. Your pics just made me "jonez" for the season to start.

Nice fly salty. Do you tie hanks in on the bottom as well or all on top? Nice fish too.

Thanks GG34. Yes, top and bottom alternating. All on top would be what is referred to as a High tie I believe.