Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

best time of year to fish South FL

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

Haha, I guess I could use "outfitter practi" (I am thinking about getting into guiding). However, I am far from a good guide, compared to Bob. I have spent a day with him, and he is probably the hardest working guide I've fished with. If you don't catch fish at one spot, he won't hesitate to make a change. Also, I wouldn't take you out unless I felt confident about the fishing. Good luck with your trip. And if you have the money i would definitely book some days with Capt Bob

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#17 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:52 PM

Yes I would love to be able to hire Bob if he's near where we'll be ave I the budget I'd definitely be happy to hire flats for cheap as well boat or no boat to show us around.

#18 Swamp Fly

Swamp Fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:32 PM

Everglades City/Chokoloskee is an hour and a half away and Flamingo is an hour and a half away.

When you nail down your time here let me know.  If time at all allows I'll see if I can't put you on some fish.  I just can't promise anything right now (I would feel horrible if I had to cancel).

#19 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:13 PM

You guys don't really fish in 95 degree heat with 75% humidity do you? I would go in January/February when it's still possible to breathe without sweating while fishing.

#20 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:51 PM

Might well be 95 out here maybe more, not much humidity though. I'd like to go when the odds of good fishing are best.

#21 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:51 PM

Swamp fly I will let you know when I figure out a time frame.

#22 Swamp Fly

Swamp Fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:31 AM

You guys don't really fish in 95 degree heat with 75% humidity do you? I would go in January/February when it's still possible to breathe without sweating while fishing.

LOL, if I didn't I wouldn't get to fish at all!  75% humidity, I wish...100% without rain is more like it.  Being on the water and having a tarpon or snook crush a topwater bug up against the mangroves will make you forget just about anything, even your own name for a few minutes.

#23 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,743 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:14 AM

You guys don't really fish in 95 degree heat with 75% humidity do you?

At 75% humidity, I need to put some moisturizer up my nose ... that's what we call a dry heat.

Fishing's best when the numbers match ... 90 degrees and 90% ... 96 degrees and 96% ... etc.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#24 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:37 PM

I second swamp fly's suggestions.  I really don't have any good leads to targeting those two species on fly, as I have yet to cast a fly myself in the salt. I have caught plenty of both on conventional and can only answer to what I know.  

When you mentioned Cape Coral, Pine island and Sanibel comes to mind. There is a lot of good fishing from the mainland edges, out to the passes. I would also suggest a guide as sand bars can be tricky. From the bank, Sanibel might be your best bet, but I haven't tried it yet myself. If your brother has a dock, or friends/family around the cape he knows with a dock, night time dock light fishing can be awesome to say the least.

Everglades city/choko is an amazing fishery, but a guide is definitely needed unless you stay within sight of the boat ramp. The canals at Port of the isles is another option where both species can be easily found, if you have access to a boat or kayak. And navigation is pretty simple as long as you don't venture out.

Again, these are just some suggestions, as my backyard is lake o.  We get plenty of snook and tarpon here on the fresh side of the Caloosahatchee, but they can be very hit and miss. I struck out this fall, without catching a single snook. They both can be a fish of a thousand casts at times.

Feel free to let me know if y'all want a day on the lake. I'd be more than happy to take y'all. But I know you catch bass in cali, so that may not interested you. Best wishes.