Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Wading in Caribbean for Bones

wading caribbean bonefish

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:13 AM

Solid advice.. If the fish turn away or spook away as your fly lands... before changing out the pattern... simply go with the same pattern in a smaller size and be willing to not only go to a lighter tippet (I've gone all the way down to 8lb tippet at times...) but also consider a bit longer leader....  I know the fish in the Caribbean aren't particularly hard to feed - but I'm used to really spooky, very experienced bonefish in Biscayne Bay - where each bonefish ought to have a first name - they've been caught and released enough times to be hard to feed most days....

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#17 wr1nkles

wr1nkles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:25 AM

For bonefish, the majority of the time you are sight fishing them in pretty shallow water. The bottom there is mostly sand, making it extremely easy to see fish. I guess you could blind cast, but I would find some deeper water or a flat next to a channel on a moving tide.

Make sure to bring a variety of patterns in sizes 4-8, as well as some different weights. The flies you described are perfect, no reason to to with something else. Make sure to use a fairly light tippet (12lb fluorocarbon being my favorite) and a tapered leader for the best casting performance.

Thanks FlatsRoamer.

I should have specified when I asked about blind casting from shore. I didn't mean to target bonefish, but something else like Jacks.

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

#18 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,748 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:03 PM

Solid advice.. If the fish turn away or spook away as your fly lands...

Is it possible you're just landing the fly too close to the fish.  I believe I read it somewhere, you might have to lead them far enough to let the fly settle before the fish get to it.  I think it's one of the similarities between Bone Fish and Carp, they don't like things coming in from over head, preferring to feed from the bottom.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wading, caribbean, bonefish