Fly Tying
Oliver47

Parachute adams

Hello

Yesterday a friend of mine gave me a few flies one of which being a parachute adams. However the parachute adams he gave to me (and tied himself) had the post clipped almost flush with the hackle. He told me he tied them this way because with the taller post the fly would always land on its side.

So my questions are, does the post serve a function other than just being a sighter? Does a shorter post help the fly land correctly more often? Do any of you guys tie you parachute flies with small posts?

A longer wing (shank length) can be seen by the trout and the angler. So I see it as serving two purposes. If the wing is not overly long and the hackle isn't too short, the fly should land upright most of the time.

The parachute adams is actually a stage 3 emerger pattern. The fly is supported by the hackle that is ABOVE the fly body so the fly body is IN and NOT ON the FILM. Dry fly bodies lie on the film and emerger bodies are in or under the film

The post represents the emerging body and wing of the insect. The post is required for the parachute adams and should NOT be cut off.

See the explanation by Gary Borger.

http://www.garyborger.com/2016/09/09/parachute-flies-stage-3-emerger/

So the fly requires a post to properly imitate that stage of emergence.

See Also:

"There's a reason that the Parachute Adams is one of the most popular "dry" flies of all time: it more accurately represents a mayfly nearing the end stages of emergence than it does your typical high-floating dun with hardened wings"

http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/few-thoughts-fishing-emergers/7711160

For more information read Fishing the Film. https://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Film-Fly-Book/dp/0962839272

While not disagreeing with anything said above ... if the fish hit it, no, the post isn't needed. If he gave them to you to fish, go for it.

If you see fish in the water, and they are snickering and pointing at the fly, then yes, the post is needed.

... the post clipped almost flush with the hackle. He told me he tied them this way because with the taller post the fly would always land on its side.

So my questions are, does the post serve a function other than just being a sighter? Does a shorter post help the fly land correctly more often? Do any of you guys tie you parachute flies with small posts

I've never had a problem with parachute flies landing on their side. For me that's a great benefit of parachute style over collar wrapped flies.

A tall post imitates either a wing or the emerging insect, and it is very valuable to help you see the fly.

The problem of flies lying on their side gave me some trouble a few years back. The solution I adopted was never to make the post longer than the RADIUS of the hackle (note I said radius not diameter.) this way the hackle has the mechanical advantage over the wing. This problem even affected Klinkhammers, which sit even lower in the water. On a Klikhammer the hackle should be submerged, with just the post above water. Through careful observation I discovered that it was not how the fly landed that was the problem, but that it was being blown over after landing.

Now I supply all parachutes with the wing post trimmed to this height, if you want them shorter you can trim them; they haven't invented an adding on tool yet.

Cheers,

C.

I was going to say the same thing as Crackaig...only a little differently...that is to say that some folks use too small of a hackle for their parachutes. When tying a size 16 parachute I use a size 14 hackle or even a size 12 on occasion. That will keep them upright! In my way of thinking, these flies can represent a spinner very well and the extra length of the hackle looks like the wings laying flat on the water surface. Just my 2 cents...

I use the post itself and gauge the hackle to reach close to the bend of the hook shank. It sounds like too big of a hackle but with tails on it looks fine and floats well, performs well overall ( for me, but I don't tie to win beauty contests and this is quick easy gauging, basically the post and hackle have the same length reach from the center of the post, very stable).