Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hook Choice

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Hook Choice (325 member(s) have cast votes)

What brand of hooks do you use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Backcastwards

Backcastwards

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:32 PM

I use several different brands, depending on what I am tying. Some companies don't make what I need.
Gary

#47 Todder

Todder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (nebc @ Aug 10 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Pike-Hunter @ Jun 7 2009, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to buy strictly Mustad for their cheap price but I'm slowly learning that you get what you pay for. After having one batch of flies rust before I ever used them I decided to start buying a little higher quality hooks. I also noticed that Mustad's tend to be made out of a much softer metal than other hooks and they would bend easily from fish and crush if the vise was too tight.

--CHad

A friend who is a pro tyer recently told me he has been going away from TMC and is buying another brand I never heard of for its quality and low cost now. Sorry but he did not tell me the name of the newer hooks.

He might be using Targus hooks. They have a lot of the same style hooks as TMC, and even use the same numbering system (e.g. TAR2457 is the same shape as a TMC2457). The last time I bought them you got 50 Targus hooks for around same price as 25 Tiemcos.

#48 kennyx

kennyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:44 PM

ebay always have low profile hooks for sale and i dont mind using them tongue.gif

#49 Gustav F.

Gustav F.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

My choice of hooks varies depending on what qualitys I'd like the hook to have for different patterns. But generally I tie on Tiemco and Partridge Flashpoint, I have though started to use Hanak competition hooks and Fulling Mills as well and I like them, good pricing too on https://www.flyfishingpoint.net/
"Fishing is just en excuse for being there"

Common sense and a tint of moral is long sufficient.

#50 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

I voted for several, I use many different brands. Mustad's, Tiemco, Daiichi, Dai Riki, and a lot of Orvis hooks (probably made by someone else). My only local shop sells mostly Orvis and Tiemco. I have used bulk-bought Mustad's for most of my basic streamer patterns.

#51 SilverArdea

SilverArdea

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

Alec Jackson *are* Daiichi. Probably been mentioned a dozen or more times, just not keen on reading all the replies. smile.gif
I'd rather be out chasing steelhead.

#52 Driftless6

Driftless6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

I use almost alway Tiemco hooks there sharp and i haven't had one break yet! I only use Mustads when I tie those trad flat-wing streamers, limerick bend, I wish Tiemco made those.

#53 Eusebius

Eusebius

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:16 AM

Base metal prices (as well as the popularity of flyfishing) have moved prices of quality hooks to VERY lofty levels the past few years. I don't think we will see a return to the $8 box of 100 hooks. Hook and Hackle is in the process of blowing out there Mustad line with a 40% sale. Might say something about tyers preferences. I buy Orvis hooks, I believe they are Fulling Mills hooks, but i could be wrong about that. I know their flies are tied in Kenya. I recently bought a few #16 and #18 caddis pupa and greenworm flies from them, as my fingers and eyes don't get down that small at 55, (yet I continue to try). The workmanship was superb. I certainly cannot tie as good as some of those smaller legged pupa patterns I received to use as models for caddis pupa patterns along with my hooks.

Tight Lines,

Eusebius

#54 David Legg

David Legg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

I have a lot of different brands, and use them all, but most of my tying is on Mustad. But then I am part Norwegian, so I just figured they must be the best! laugh.gif
The great thing about catch & release is that the fish can live to grow even larger.
In fact, I've known some fish to grow quite a bit larger before the fisherman even returned home

#55 David Legg

David Legg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (TheCream @ Jan 27 2010, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and a lot of Orvis hooks (probably made by someone else).

You mean they aren't made by hook elves in the cave under the Manchester store? blink.gif Dang! I loved those hooks!
The great thing about catch & release is that the fish can live to grow even larger.
In fact, I've known some fish to grow quite a bit larger before the fisherman even returned home

#56 Hot Tuna

Hot Tuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

Looks like the sponsor JStockard has a great line of generic chemically sharpened hooks at very favorable prices...going to be ordering some soon.

#57 Rainbow

Rainbow

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Hot Tuna @ Jan 29 2010, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like the sponsor JStockard has a great line of generic chemically sharpened hooks at very favorable prices...going to be ordering some soon.

I just got my first JStockard hooks in the mail today.....they look nice!

#58 UtahAngler

UtahAngler

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:54 PM

I received an order of the J. Stockard a little a while ago. So far they've been real nice to tie on. No problems. I've yet to fish with them though.

#59 smokinprice

smokinprice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

I use both TMC and Mustad. Lately it seems like I am using more TMC

#60 alto

alto

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:07 AM

I use tiemco , but has anyone tried to use saber hooks sold by the fly shack. Just woundering if their worth trying
thanks alto