Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Lefty’s Deceiver

Unfortunately Lefty Kreh passed away last year, but his memory lives on with this (and many other) amazing fly patterns. Now I am sure I am not doing his pattern justice, but I dont know many people who can tie it just like him. However, this pattern, even tied as badly as I do it still catches a large amount of fish. Its got to be one of the best streamers ever produced. And seems to work for a wide verity of sportfish species. It also moves amazingly in the water, and seems to oscillate perfectly to be irresistible for fish! They almost cant help but eat it.

I really liked this video. For me its everything I want, short, shows everything, no annoying things haha.

How you show choosing feathers and do the proportions is cool too!

Thanks man. Yeah i always try to keep my videos short. No one wants to listen to someone carry on for 10 minutes about the first time they tied the fly before they get to tying. When I used to watch videos before I was making them myself I would always roll my eyes with some that do that. Glad you liked it man. Thanks again for watching.

I like the video a lot.

The best fly tyer I have ever met was Royce Dam of Wisconsin who won the FFF Buz Buszek award in 1994.

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Portals/0/FlyTyingGroup/FTGDocuments/Buszek/1994_RoyceDam.pdf

He tied this collection of flies for me that match the USPS commemorative stamps of flies. Lefty's Deceiver is on the lower left.

35557334702_065799d737_z.jpg

I once had breakfast with Lefty, he kept me laughing for a hour! Not only a great fly tyer but had great stories too.

RIP Lefty

B

I was lucky enough to be introduced to him way back in 1972, when I was working at the old Reef Tackle in Miami and going to nearby J. Lee Cuddy's for my rodbuilding components. The fellow who introduced me was John Emery, who went on to become the premier guide down at Flamingo in Everglades National Park (where I guide today....). In that era Lefty was the outdoor writer for the Miami Herald - his book writing years only started after he left south Florida for Maryland... I've never heard a bad word said (or whispered) about him - he was a true gentleman and I always enjoyed talking with him years later when I was just one of many at the various shows I worked as a tyer...

All of this is to setup my own small contribution to the army of tyers over the years that have tied and used that universal Deceiver pattern. Depending on the hook size you use, it will take almost every fish in saltwater you ever encounter since it really does mimic the movement and silhouette of a baitfish -from a tiny fry or glass minnow all the way up to something suitable for a sailfish... Can't remember how many orders for Deceivers I've filled over the years - but one special Deceiver was done up for a shop up in Stuart, Florida - the Southern Angler - then run by Rich DeVito - so this is more than thirty years ago now, I believe... At any rate we called it the Southern Deceiver - and it was specifically meant for really big snook at night under that area's bridges that were feeding on big herring and pilchards (around Stuart a snook isn't considered an outstanding catch on fly... unless it's at least 20lbs) - so the fish in that area are a bit larger than most of us that fish for them will ever encounter - particularly with a fly... Here it is... my full dress version of that classic pattern - done up on a stout 4/0 hook...

tQP4phz.jpg

overall length nears seven inches and it took big big snook up to almost 40lbs for careful releases - all those years ago...

Beautiful fly capt. also some really nice flies silver! And Im a little jealous of your breakfast Bazzer... haha!