Fly Tying
zip

Okeechobee Fly Journal

Headed to my grandmother's in Okeechobee for Independence Day.I've been working on filling this box up for a month now!I have foam poppers,hoppers,my love bug pattern, soft hackle wets,large nymphs,some standard dries,clousers in several colors,spun poppers,big and small buggers,couple gurglers and some big San juans!Really excited about this trip!

Her home sits below the "rim ditch" as folks call it!Out the back door and there it is!!!For one solid week there will be nothing but fresh fish in my tummy and ofcoarse the appropriate libations!!!Pics to come!!

I have my Orvis Encounter in 5wt.I figured that it will be a good all around fly rod for the area.Also have ordered an 8wt SW from Steve.Might be lucky enough to hit the salt while I'm down!

post-3092-0-55802600-1466127994_thumb.jpg

post-3092-0-68256600-1466128023_thumb.jpg

post-3092-0-50756900-1466128465_thumb.jpg

post-3092-0-14217800-1466128578_thumb.jpg

post-3092-0-91578200-1466128664_thumb.jpg

Absolutely

You've got it covered. Plenty of bluegills bedding all over the place. Also the size limit of bass is changing July 1 for the lake. 5 fish 16" and under with one allowed over 16. It's been only over 18" for a few years. Now we can finally bring some bass home with the panfish. Weekend before last me and pops easily caught 50+ bass in a half day. All between 12" and 19" . Mostly on topwater and flukes. Then when the bass bite started slowing, we picked up the fly rods and the fun continued with bream and several small bass. We're heading back out next weekend and the lake seems to be clearing up and with level it's at should be a great summer. If the wind picks up, the rim ditch can be a great fishery in itself. If you like we can plan a trip while you're down and I'll take you out.

That sounds like a good time buddy!She lives at the Blue cypress community past Taylor Crk off 441!Now I'm excited!Thank you for the heads up on the legality changes as well!I will not take an illegal fish!!!

10-4, got a buddy down the street from there. I'll give you an updated lake report next weekend, though pops will probably be out there a couple times next week rubbing it in my face while I'm at work. Like sending me these pics as I'm clocking in.

post-59266-0-33314600-1466134120_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-33544900-1466134133_thumb.jpg

That's gorgeous!!!Can't wait to start pulling in some Okeechobee slabs!Looking forward to meeting up with ya!

Thanks,Carson!

Went ahead and bought my permit online!Legal in the state of Florida so I can start as soon as I arrive!

I'm hearing tale tale storied of small tarpon in the lake...any truth to this???

I've caught them in the caloosahatchee and st.Lucie rivers on both sides of the lake. Literally just a few feet from the locks that lead into the lake. But I have never seen one within the dike that surrounds the lake. I don't doubt a few have found there way into the lake, but it's not something that you are going to be able to target.

I've heard the same. I've also heard this from Ron Taylor, he is a very well respected Biologist here in FL. No reason there should not be, after all there is a population of snook in the lake. I would expect that catching them is not such a common thing though. If you want to catch some baby Tarpon there are more reliable places.

Now that I think about it I recall that a few were found washed up on shore in the lake along with all sorts of unexpected fish including a couple of baby bull sharks after Hurricane Charlie. I remember seeing the photo of one of the bull sharks in the paper.

I'm just extremely excited!It sounds like the lake is really alive and full of fish!My dad went down last year and caught a gator, accident lol

The lake has risen a foot in the last few weeks, and it's still hard to find clear water. But that don't matter, there's plenty of fish to catch on lake o. Fished from daylight till 11 and caught several small bass, a few nice 19-20 inchers. I left the big ones out there for you Zip, to catch next week. Got rained on a couple times and that's when the fish really turned on. It was a nice cooling sprinkle with no lighting.. perfect weather, till the sun comes back out and your glasses fog up because its so steamy. I never even picked up the fly rod.. shame/shame I know.. wish I did. Zip, I'll call you tomorrow. Here's a few pics from this morning.