Fly Tying
Mike West

Help me pick a sinking line please....

1st off I'm not a Rookie...been fly fishing near 50 years but I've been out of it for 10-15 years as far as technology goes. The amount of line choices now days is just mind boggling.

Here's what I have and what I want to do:

Rods:

Sage GFL 9' 6" 8 wt

Sage GFL 9' 9 wt

Scott Heliply 8' 8" 10 wt

I need a versatile setup for all three rods fishing for suspended LM Bass,Inland Lake Striper and Hybrid Bass.

and a little light Salt water fishing.

Throwing Big Streamers and Bottom bouncing flies.

Don't have enough money to setup every rod right. Looking to overload the 8wt get the 9wt right and underload the 10wt.

Need to fish 10'-20' deep. Maybe even deeper and cast as far as I can to cover blind water.

Don't know what to do..shooting head system? 24' sink tip Lines? Teeny? Straight Mono Running line and Sink Tips?

Edit: I'm worried about a straight line connection and being able to detect a strike when fishing this deep,this is why I lean towards mono and a sink tip.

T.I.A.

Sorry about the Popper comment(going to edit that)

I got the top covered. Just need some rods setup to go deep when going after suspend bass or stripers

I'll usually carry 3-4 rods setup when boat fishing lakes which is what I'm talking about here.

Sorry about the Popper comment(going to edit that)

I got the top covered. Just need some rods setup to go deep when going after suspend bass or stripers

I'll usually carry 3-4 rods setup when boat fishing lakes which is what I'm talking about here.

Gotchya. For as deep as you're describing then I'd imagine a full sink with a pretty fast sink speed would keep your flies where you want them.

Edit, how does the straight mono running line work? Haven't messed around with that. Is That using a piece of mono as mainline?

Mono Shooting lines,Braided Mono,Amnesia, Ect. Used instead of a floating,sinking or intermediate running line...just hook a sinking tip or sinking shooting head to it.

Mono Shooting lines,Braided Mono,Amnesia, Ect. Used instead of a floating,sinking or intermediate running line...just hook a sinking tip or sinking shooting head to it.

Oh okay, gotchya. Thanks. I can see how that might give you a good connection, wouldn't draw the fly up either on the retrieve.

I'm not rich or stupid with my money but I can usually buy what I want or think I need.

Don't want to spend that $169 on the RIO Versitip if that's what you are asking.

Rio Intouch Outbound Short WF9I/6.0IPS.

There is no line that casts big flies like the Outbound Short. Period. It has a very short, aggressive head that should load any of those rods.

I currently use the 9wt on my Beulah 9' 8wt and it just rockets the casts with one or two false casts and a double haul. It is however a $90.00 bill.

+1

I love the Outbound Short on my 10 weight. I think it's two weights heavier than the rating, so an 8 rated would work on all three rods. What is your primary rod?

Tom

Not a fan of the outbound short as I find it to be a bit too aggressive, But for sinking flies deep probably Ok.

For light saltwater applications I would probably look at the Rio Leviathon and Rio Bluewater if you need to get flies down quick.

I did use a streamer express for my #6 for a number of years and it worked really well in both fresh and saltwater applications.

If you were just going to dredge I'd look at the old Rio T8 or heavier heads, and sort a running line from that. From memory, they used to only cost about $1 per foot and you could get lengths of up to 30ft.

I have the Rio outbound short for my 8 weight loads it very easiest and quickly shots far and you won't have trouble throwing big flys with it.

OBS will be the best casting, but you're not going to fish as deep as you want. To get down that far and stay down, a full sink is your only choice.

Luckily, within that category, you have many choices. Just pick a WF9S full sink line of a brand or packaging you find pretty.

For the 9' 9wt. 30ft. of T14 up front rio or cortland then 25# lb. amnesia 2spools (400ft.) My go to set up for deeper saltwater striper fishing. It cast well but use a short leader and watch out for your fingers. Might work for the 10 also.

I have the rio outbound short on my fiberglass 8 wt. and love it. The outbound does exactly what it says, it makes a fly rod cast like a spinning rod. I'm hitting 50' with a single very easy flip with no false casting. Throw a false cast in there and your shooting 75' with ease. A lot less fatiguing. I must admit it's got a different feel to it and you really don't want to do to much false casting with it. I don't fish that deep but Since your fishing a lake, assuming there's no crazy currents, there's really no need to get it down quickly. Intermediate with a weighted fly will get down there.