Fly Tying
Bill_729

New plastic drawer unit for fly tying stuff

This storage unit arrived today, and I was pleasantly surprised:

https://www.amazon.com/IRIS-6-Drawer-Rolling-Storage-Organizer/dp/B00ISOM8ZK/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=iris+drawer&qid=1568992662&s=gateway&sr=8-1

--the drawers (2.5"x14"x12" I believe) open effortlessly without any sort of click, will not fall out, and can be removed by opening and turning to the side.

--the design is thoughtfully done--not just something someone cobbled together (it's also available in black instead of white).

--the top has various places to set stuff that you want to be handy--it's not merely flat (photo at link above).

--The price is $28.99, a little more than I thought I'd have to pay for such an item, but when I saw that the price was as much as 50% higher at some other places (like Office Depot), I clicked "buy: It took 12 days to arrive..which I thought was very slow by Amazon's standards, but I don't have "prime".

-- Now I can relinquish my cardboard boxes...except I think I'll still have room in my heart for some shoe boxes, and others... : )

-------------------------------

Now if you may be able to help me locate a table I can clamp a vise to? Hopefully about 29" or 30" high. Something that would "fit" against a hardwood cherry floor (so dark rather than light, I think). A writing desk comes to mind. I visited the local "Goodwill's" and didn't find anything. I'm presently using a kitchen table--but it's not in the same room as the hardwood cherry floor. I hate to spend too much since I know I might "muck it up" a little with lacquer, scissors, etc. Seen anything out there recently?

If I don't find something, I've got a full sheet of plywood in the garage. My wife said, "Oh, that will look reeeal good...". Such confidence! (ha) If I could think of a quick way to attach legs to it, it would be a done deal! : )

I'm ruling out sawhorses for the time being, but maybe if I stained them Cherry?.... ; ) I picked up a cheap lathe for $25 at an auction not too long ago..haven't tried it yet (it's going to cost $50 for cutting tools). I guess I'd prefer a table that just showed up at the door...but it won't take too much to talk me into cobbling somethin' together if I don't find something pretty soon... ; ) Cheers. I hope you found something I wrote mildly amusing--or perhaps you didn't and you think the same way I do? (The spirit of the outdoor writer Patrick F. McManus inspired me and has never left me. He'd probably already have his vise attached to something--with 2 or 3 newly tied flies sitting on it, in the few minutes it's taken me to write this post! Our elders was like that... ).

Bill_729

Wow, that was quick. Thank you for the lead! It has the advantage of not having a center drawer (which as you surely know is atypical). I'll go take a look.

Bill

a468b41e-9ab3-435e-8d1b-43c970d44619_2.3

this works for me. lots of elbow room. no cramped tying

go to wayfair, ikea, overstock, houzz, google and search for desks that suits your need

I am sorry to tell you that I have drawers like the ones you posted, and don't use them anymore. Mine are an early version and may not be as refined as yours. (although they look the same). Mine stick when you try to open a drawer and the whole thing tries to fall over when the drawer sticks. Maybe I was just trying to stuff too much in there. I'm short on patients for things like sticky drawers.

Good luck with yours, I hope you find them as good in use as you found them right out of the box.

a468b41e-9ab3-435e-8d1b-43c970d44619_2.3

this works for me. lots of elbow room. no cramped tying

go to wayfair, ikea, overstock, houzz, google and search for desks that suits your need

But I suspect you don't "clamp" to that, right? Otherwise, it would be great. I like the "roominess" aspect too.

Thanks,

Bill

Check out Sam's

1. $49.98 "Lifetime 6' Commercial Grade Stacking Folding Table, Choose a Color"

6-feet in length, 30" in depth and 29" in height. It is made of high-density polyethylene available in three neutral colors: white granite, black and almond.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/6-banquet-table-commerical-quality/prod6910044

2. $24.98 "Lifetime 30" Personal Table, Black"

folding table"

Has an X-frame 30" L x 20" W x 29" H

https://www.samsclub.com/p/lifetime-30in-pertbl-30-in-pers-table/prod22150447

I am sorry to tell you that I have drawers like the ones you posted, and don't use them anymore. Mine are an early version and may not be as refined as yours. (although they look the same). Mine stick when you try to open a drawer and the whole thing tries to fall over when the drawer sticks. Maybe I was just trying to stuff too much in there. I'm short on patients for things like sticky drawers.

Good luck with yours, I hope you find them as good in use as you found them right out of the box.

Thank you Mark. So far they don't stick "at all"--almost the opposite, if you tilt the cabinet they will slide out. The drawers slide on rails like in a filing cabinet. If a drawer was overfull, then that might push the drawer down on the rails, so I could envision a problem. As I wrote in my first post, I was impressed with the design. I will provide an update here if my point of view, or "review", changes for any reason.

Bill

Thank you Mark. So far they don't stick "at all"--almost the opposite, if you tilt the cabinet they will slide out. The drawers slide on rails like in a filing cabinet. If a drawer was overfull, then that might push the drawer down on the rails, so I could envision a problem. As I wrote in my first post, I was impressed with the design. I will provide an update here if my point of view, or "review", changes for any reason.

Bill

Yes, please do, it seem like after a while the plastic started to warp and it got sticky. Best of luck.

I have been using something similar if not the same thing that was purchased at Walmart. It survived 5 years of college living and about 6 years at my tying bench. No issues at all other then the wheels which I took off and don't use. I guess you can say the drawers stick a little but it's no big deal to me. Best storage thing I ever acquired for storage at the bench.

If you live near SE PA I have a secretary desk I'm throwing out since it is not in the new design for my family room. My father used it for fly tying ad I used it for bill paying. It has some wear but it's a pretty cool desk.

If you live near SE PA I have a secretary desk I'm throwing out since it is not in the new design for my family room. My father used it for fly tying ad I used it for bill paying. It has On my way! Wear but it's a pretty cool desk.

Wow, thanks! Central Indiana here, so it probably won't work this time--but I appreciate the offer! Is it one of those "roll-back desks"? ::perk:: We're planning to go by Office Depot tomorrow and look at the one Mikechell mentioned. Some reviewers don't care for the "cloth" drawers (made out of PVC?), but the desk appears to be solid.

Bill

I agree that it's a pretty cool desk. Having an interest in woodworking, I appreciate it's style. It is solid wood? How about the dimensions and weight of yours? Maybe we should take this conversation to PM?

Bill

I had the same problem until I discovered that it was the weight of the tool box I put on top of the drawer unit that caused the whole unit to flex a bit and misalign the drawers. Solution was a piece of plywood under the tool box.

I had the same problem until I discovered that it was the weight of the tool box I put on top of the drawer unit that caused the whole unit to flex a bit and misalign the drawers. Solution was a piece of plywood under the tool box.

Yes, I'm sure it was something like that. I suspect that it was my floor that was a little less flat than needed and the weight of the objects in and on the unit.