Fly Tying
petelangevin

Found a cheap source of small squirmy wormy tails

I went into Walgreens yesterday and in their seasonal dept they had balls about volleyball size in different colors for 6$. Looks to be a lifetime supply.

Thanks for the tip! I walked out to my local Walgreens and picked up two. They were having a buy one get the second for half price. I grabbed a chartreuse green and a yellow one. They had lots of colors so I may grab an orange one as well. I took the extra step of counting the tentacles. I got to 6 and determined I have enough for the rest of my life.

A funny side note is I didn't know they light up so when I'm walking back home (4 miles mostly unlit streets) they are creating a flashing light show through the white plastic bag. I felt a little stupid because cars were turning their high beams on and slowing down to see what the heck was going on. I did get home safely though.

Funny stuff, Poopdeck! 6, huh? Lost a few fingers over the years?

You should've spun that bag over your head ... watched for UFO sightings in the news.

Kinda tricky tying it on but lotta uses for it.

IMG-3547.png

Cut and glue 2 pieces together for great green worm good for grass carp, breamses

E827-D76-D-F1-AD-4-EFA-8361-3-DF77656-BD

IMG-3551.jpg

I picked up a similar on a while back, but it was so frustrating to tie with I threw it in the bottom of one desk drawers and haven't touched it since.

Great idea using them as legs, denduke.

I picked up a similar on a while back, but it was so frustrating to tie with I threw it in the bottom of one desk drawers and haven't touched it since.

agreed. Is there an easy way to get them to lay straight when tied in as a tail?

Thanks for the tip! I walked out to my local Walgreens and picked up two. They were having a buy one get the second for half price. I grabbed a chartreuse green and a yellow one. They had lots of colors so I may grab an orange one as well. I took the extra step of counting the tentacles. I got to 6 and determined I have enough for the rest of my life.

A funny side note is I didn't know they light up so when I'm walking back home (4 miles mostly unlit streets) they are creating a flashing light show through the white plastic bag. I felt a little stupid because cars were turning their high beams on and slowing down to see what the heck was going on. I did get home safely though.

Wait, you walked 8 miles to get those balls, those are some balls. I bet you got some other important stuff too. Was it raining too, and uphill both ways? biggrin.png biggrin.png I think I'd have grabbed the orange one anyway just to save the 8 mile walk to get it. Good on you, stayin' all healthy and stuff.

agreed. Is there an easy way to get them to lay straight when tied in as a tail?

Looser wraps behind the tie-down wraps to get it to lay down. Just like you would do on deer hair if you didn't want it to splay out so much.

For these little squirmy fingers I heat up my bodkin and press it into the squirmy to melt a channel the length of where I'm affixing it to the hook. The material will flatten a little and open up like a butterflied shrimp. Dap some super glue on the hook shank and press the squirmy on. You can then add tying thread or not.

Mark, I walk 5 to 6 miles every night after dinner depending on the weather. If it's raining I only walk 5 otherwise it's 6. Last night was good weather and logged in 6.2 miles. The Walgreens is 2 miles from my home. After buying the balls and a three musketeers bar I took them for a 4 mile walk around town on my way home. When daylight saving time arrives I typically go to the local creek and fish after dinner. Until then I walk usually between 7:00 and 9:00 pm every night. I have to be home by 9 though so I don't miss the new shows I enjoy watching, like forged in fire.

I walk because running hurts my knee and riding a bike hurts my back. It keeps me in great wading and golfing shape.

Dap some super glue on the hook shank and press the squirmy on.

This is especially effective if you want your fingers tied on as part of the fly.

This is the method I was shown/taught when I was introduced to this material. I like the looks of flies that use it, but I've never been able to catch anything on them. Could just be a confidence thing. I'll have to try them again and see.

For these little squirmy fingers I heat up my bodkin and press it into the squirmy to melt a channel the length of where I'm affixing it to the hook. The material will flatten a little and open up like a butterflied shrimp. Dap some super glue on the hook shank and press the squirmy on. You can then add tying thread or not.

Mark, I walk 5 to 6 miles every night after dinner depending on the weather. If it's raining I only walk 5 otherwise it's 6. Last night was good weather and logged in 6.2 miles. The Walgreens is 2 miles from my home. After buying the balls and a three musketeers bar I took them for a 4 mile walk around town on my way home. When daylight saving time arrives I typically go to the local creek and fish after dinner. Until then I walk usually between 7:00 and 9:00 pm every night. I have to be home by 9 though so I don't miss the new shows I enjoy watching, like forged in fire.

I walk because running hurts my knee and riding a bike hurts my back. It keeps me in great wading and golfing shape.

Well, I'm impressed, good for you and your health.

I put in my order for some, my wifie said she's gunna get me some next time she goes there. That's like exactly the opposite of how poopdeck gets his stuff, he walks 4 miles to get it, and I ask my wife to get it next time she goes by there.

That's funny because my wife usually says, while your out stop at the acme and pick up a 1/2 gallon of milk.

That's funny because my wife usually says, while your out stop at the acme and pick up a 1/2 gallon of milk.

I think you are better off.