Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
zonkermonster83

either a disco damsel or a shiney minnow?

hey I had an idea of a fly thats basically a slim mylar tube body and tail but i added two rubber legs at the head o was first thinking it might mimmick a salamander but when i looked closer at the finished product i snipped the legs quite short it looked like a minnow of some sort. by buddy says it looks like a disco dasmel which he called it when i did it with a blue deer hair.

post-52359-0-96124600-1394127738_thumb.jpg

Yeah ... I can't make out what it is, period. I see a bag of some kind of chips. I see something that might be rope on a vise. You've got to take a better picture (with no background clutter, at least) if you want any real comments on this.

is it the white thing in the middle? doesn't really show up well enough to decide which it looks like.

The image is out of focus, and there is way too much conflicting background. First of all find and learn to use your camera's Macro setting. The Macro Icon usually looks like a tulip. Get a single color background that will contrast with the fly. Use plenty of light. Building a small light box around your tying light should give you the required light. Your camera should be able to shoot at a fast shutter speed of at least 200.

Get your lens as close to the fly as you can, and the Macro focus will bring the whole fly into focus. There should be nothing in your picture but the fly, and a plain background.

Sadly, a cell phone camera won't do the job at all. Almost all inexpensive point and shoot digital cameras will have a macro setting.

I'm not sure what/where the fly is but in the future please use a plain background when you take a photo