Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hello from Alaska

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:16 AM

I've known guys over my way (the Atlantic side of things..) that were perfectly willing to use a home-made lead core shooting head and 100 to 300 feet of Amnesia shooting line to get flies down to the reef in 100 to 150 feet of water.  You make the cast (if you can call it that..). then allow your running line to just keep paying out until your bug is down where you want it.. Of course this sort of stuff goes with "rugbeater" style fly rods that aren't exactly standard fly rods....  Each to his own.

I was a member of the old Tropical Anglers fishing club down in Miami from 1976 to about 1983 and it was a seriously competitive club that had at least six different line class or tackle class categories to compete in (and continuous six month tournaments...) you'd find some very cutting edge angling.  Many world records set by club members including some pretty improbable catches - How 'bout a 356 lb jewfish (goliath grouper for all you politically correct types) on six pound line? Or sailfish on fly when there were only a half dozen anglers in the world who'd taken one on fly...  You didn't have to be divorced to join that club - but most of the members would eventually head down that road as well...

Me, I wanted to compete in the fly division - so I built my first fly rod - before i knew how to use it properly... It was built on a Lamiglass S-glass blank (this was before graphite was accepted widely) and I  learned pretty quickly that there was a lot more art to building a good fly rod than science... and so it goes...

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#17 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,326 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:41 PM

HEY!!!!!!! I just noticed the damn kids get off my lawn. How long has that been there? I love kids, on their own lawns of course, but who would know that?

Oh that's been there for about 8-10 months now laugh.png laugh.png Took ya long enough to notice ithappy.png 

Welcome aboard Mark, enjoy the site and have fun.

Steve

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#18 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:16 PM

Nice, I also enjoyed seeing pictures of fish I haven't seen.

Really interested in the lines you use and how you get down to depths you do.

Those are beautiful fish.  How do you get a fly down to the bottom?   I'm pretty sure you're not "fly casting" out and letting it sink naturally.

Yes, I cast and let it sink naturally. I make my own fly lines, they consist of thirty feet of T20 line, welded to 90 feet of T17 line.

We set up the drift so we will drift toward the structure we want to fish. We cast toward the structure, as we are drifting toward the cast, the fly is sinking straight down. Lets just say the structure we're fishing is at 120 feet, we know that because we have a graph. As we drift closer to the sunken mount, we strip line from the reel. We know when we have 120 feet out because we have 120 feet of fly line. 120 feet just happens to be the maximum amount the IGFA allows you to strip (mend) in fly fishing. If our structure isn't close to 120 feet I just count 2 feet per strip (mend) from the weld in the fly lines.

If everything goes right, the wind and the current are right, we pass over our structure and tickle the top of it with our fly. It's not possible to fish like this everywhere and certainly we can't fish like this everyday. On days with high winds or days with extreme tides we have to do other things. We have used sea anchors and that helps, but mostly we just find a place where the wind is blowing the same direction as the current so the boat moves at the same speed that our fly does thus allowing us to keep the fly fishing as long as possible. Where we fish, the area is full of islands and fjords. It's not always possible to find favorable conditions but we do OK. It's possible for us to go out for a week and only be able to fly fish the ocean for 1/2 a day. ( then we hit the streams and lakes) but there have been times we fly fished the salt the whole week.

We have done very short drifts over single sunken mounts but when conditions are right, there are places we can drift for up to an hour. During one such drift a couple of years ago, I casted 14 times and caught a fish on each cast, I missed a fish on one cast and then cast seven more times with a fish on each one.

#19 Fisherscastle

Fisherscastle

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:44 AM

Hello fellow fly fisherman. I just found this site a week ago and think I may like to spend some time here.

As a way of introduction, here's a shot of my most exciting catch this summer.

20180720-085023-XL.jpg

It's a 32 inch, 13 pound laker caught from shore on a 5 wt sage with a polar bear hair streamer with a jungle cock eyes and pheasant feather cheeks.

I giggled like a kid the whole time he was on. So much fun.

Thanks for looking and again, hello to everyone.

Welcome to the group...and nice catch

Fisherscastle

#20 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:21 PM

Hello fellow fly fisherman. I just found this site a week ago and think I may like to spend some time here.

As a way of introduction, here's a shot of my most exciting catch this summer.

20180720-085023-XL.jpg

It's a 32 inch, 13 pound laker caught from shore on a 5 wt sage with a polar bear hair streamer with a jungle cock eyes and pheasant feather cheeks.

I giggled like a kid the whole time he was on. So much fun.

Thanks for looking and again, hello to everyone.

Welcome to the group...and nice catch

Thanks everyone.

#21 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:25 PM

I've known guys over my way (the Atlantic side of things..) that were perfectly willing to use a home-made lead core shooting head and 100 to 300 feet of Amnesia shooting line to get flies down to the reef in 100 to 150 feet of water.  You make the cast (if you can call it that..). then allow your running line to just keep paying out until your bug is down where you want it.. Of course this sort of stuff goes with "rugbeater" style fly rods that aren't exactly standard fly rods....  Each to his own.

I was a member of the old Tropical Anglers fishing club down in Miami from 1976 to about 1983 and it was a seriously competitive club that had at least six different line class or tackle class categories to compete in (and continuous six month tournaments...) you'd find some very cutting edge angling.  Many world records set by club members including some pretty improbable catches - How 'bout a 356 lb jewfish (goliath grouper for all you politically correct types) on six pound line? Or sailfish on fly when there were only a half dozen anglers in the world who'd taken one on fly...  You didn't have to be divorced to join that club - but most of the members would eventually head down that road as well...

Me, I wanted to compete in the fly division - so I built my first fly rod - before i knew how to use it properly... It was built on a Lamiglass S-glass blank (this was before graphite was accepted widely) and I  learned pretty quickly that there was a lot more art to building a good fly rod than science... and so it goes...

I mostly use 9 and 10 wts, that's what I enjoy the most, but I do use my 13 wt, 14 wt. and 16 wt. rods too. I have broken the 9s and tens more than I want to admit. And you are right, the casts aren't pretty.

#22 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:12 PM

See? you ain't a bait fisher no more.Keep up the good work.

#23 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:55 PM

Woo hoo, a promotion already. Does that come with a pay raise?biggrin.png biggrin.png

#24 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:54 PM

Woo hoo, a promotion already. Does that come with a pay raise?biggrin.png biggrin.png

yep pretty good one 50% raise the next ones even bigger, after that they are a little more normal like 10 percent until you become a moderator that's like a 500% raise but there's all this responsibility, so it might be more trouble than it's worth.

#25 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:00 PM

yep pretty good one 50% raise the next ones even bigger, after that they are a little more normal like 10 percent until you become a moderator that's like a 500% raise but there's all this responsibility, so it might be more trouble than it's worth.

That's what I'm talking about. A 50% raise in the first week. I'm already circling stuff in the Orvis Catalog. Just one question though, when does it start to show up in the pay check? I don't see it anywhere.

#26 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,326 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:08 PM

Just one question though, when does it start to show up in the pay check? I don't see it anywhere.

I'm just waiting for my check from the Nigerian Prince to arrive. Once I get that then you guys will all get paid.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#27 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,500 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:52 PM

I got this one Steve.

Here's the first payment.   It's called "Pic-Coin".  Redeemable at any dark-web, underground, back-alley store that sells

dehydrated alcoholic beverages.

lead_720_405.png?mod=1533691909

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#28 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:35 PM

Just one question though, when does it start to show up in the pay check? I don't see it anywhere.

I'm just waiting for my check from the Nigerian Prince to arrive. Once I get that then you guys will all get paid.

What a coincidence, I'm still waiting for mine too.