Fly Tying
add147

Question on swaps

Hello All,

I am sure some of you have seen me posting pictures of some of my flies and some of my silly and I am sure sometimes stupid questions but one have to learn some how! LOL I do have one question though pertaining to possibly joining a swap in the future. I have the rules and so forth about swaps and to be honest they seem pretty simple. Basically you do not want to sign up for something and then jack around and not fulfill your obligation. To me that is nothing but common respect for your fellow tiers, just like when you go fishing if someone already has your spot you move on down the road or stream. You just don't horn in and crowd them. Of course in days world some folks just do not have any manners it seems.

Anyway my question is when do you feel a newbie is ready to participate in a swap? I sure would hate to sign up for one and completely disappoint the group because my tying skills are not up to others standards. I enjoy this forum very much and I would hate to get a bad name here! Fisherboy I know you asked me some time back to join in a swap but I did not feel comfortable at that particular time.

So how does one know when they are ready??? As always I enjoy everyone input and opinions!!!

I think that the point of the swap is for it to be a learning experience, an exercise in consistently tying flies. It would seem to me that if you have the basic skills of tying down and think that you can produce a dozen flies that are all pretty close to the same then your good to go.

Give it your best effort and I'm sure every one will be happy to have you in a swap.

When I first joined in on a swap I felt the same way but I went for it and I did a great job this helps you learn . So went a swap opens up if you fill comfortable in tying a pattern or one the the swap calls for I say join in and have fun with it .

I completely agree with the other replies. When a swap opens up that you feel comfortable with then join in. Nobody is an expert tier when they first get started. I am sure that I have sent out some flies that were not as good as the others in the swap but by seeing their flies you tend to pick up techniques and experience. I am a swap junkie and just can't resist if I see an interesting one because I have learned so much by seeing all of the great, and not so great, flies that you receive.

Netabrookie

You were talking about me weren't you? The "not so great" flies. I knew you hated my flies! tongue.png

Nope Shoebop, it isn't you. I guess I should have worded it like I overheard a fellow talking about women to a woman. He said that he had never seen an ugly woman before. Its just that some are prettier than others.

This is sorta like going to the swimming hole, sooner or later you just have to jump in. I know I am a much better tyer today than when I joined my first swap. That improvement is from being in swaps and learning from them. I have NEVER seen anyone ridiculed here, but I have seen a lot of good advice and encouragement. Come on in; the water's fine!

Yeah, what he said. Jump right in. Occasionally someone will point out a fly that exceeds expectations but never seen someone knock a fly yet, tho I'm sure some of mine deserved it, especially early in the game.

Ditto what fishingbobnelson and vicrider said -- the swaps are an excellent way to learn and improve your tying; they certainly have been for me. I have only ever heard constructive criticism of members' flies and tying skills here, and then only when it was specifically requested; otherwise, nothing but support and encouragement. This is a great group of people. Swaps are fun, too. :)

I personally feel like swaps are one of the best ways to improve your tying. How often does one sit down and tie the same fly over and over again, as we all should when starting out. Swaps force you to tie the same fly repeatedly, and I know once I get to the six or seventh it really starts to click. Once it clicks is when I start putting those in my swap pile, the ones before those either get razor bladed or thrown in my own personal fly box.

Also, some of my ugliest flies fish the best and my prettiest flies never leave the box after a few failed attempts at fishing them.

Certainly, the purpose of a swap is to help improve, not intimidate anyone. It's that first step that's the killer. After you take the plunge, it gets a lot easier. I agree, I've never seen anyone ridiculed or put down over flies sent in to swap. I think every swap I've been in (over 60 now) I've learned something from others flies I received. Pelhament - I do the same thing. The first few tied don't usually make it into the swap pile. Consistency comes with practice.

This is my first post. I have been wondering here for a few weeks.

I want to start by saying this is the best forum I have found online. Outstanding advice, tips, and camaraderie amongst fellow Fly Fisher men and women!

I know this is an old thread, but I was looking through the forums to see if anyone had the same question I had on Fly Swaps. I use to tie flies many years ago before I joined the Navy. After 21 years I never got the chance to tie flies again! Now, 10 years later and away from Colorado, I have started tying again!! Of course now I live on the east coast of Virginia so different types of flies, but same concept.

I would like to join some fly swaps, but to be honest, my skills are not like they used to be when I was 30+ years younger (disclaimer: They probably weren't all that good back then either, but they caught fish)! I also have a 15 year old that wants to learn all about fly fishing and fly tying. I am going to send him to this forum so he can receive all of this great advice too!

Anyway I feel a little more comfortable after reading all the replies. Thanks for all the good information from everyone!

This is my first post. I have been wondering here for a few weeks.

I want to start by saying this is the best forum I have found online. Outstanding advice, tips, and camaraderie amongst fellow Fly Fisher men and women!

I know this is an old thread, but I was looking through the forums to see if anyone had the same question I had on Fly Swaps. I use to tie flies many years ago before I joined the Navy. After 21 years I never got the chance to tie flies again! Now, 10 years later and away from Colorado, I have started tying again!! Of course now I live on the east coast of Virginia so different types of flies, but same concept.

I would like to join some fly swaps, but to be honest, my skills are not like they used to be when I was 30+ years younger (disclaimer: They probably weren't all that good back then either, but they caught fish)! I also have a 15 year old that wants to learn all about fly fishing and fly tying. I am going to send him to this forum so he can receive all of this great advice too!

Anyway I feel a little more comfortable after reading all the replies. Thanks for all the good information from everyone!

What's the question you had?

Kind of funny since add147 has contributed some very nice flies to swaps I've run and couldn't understand him asking this. Then I looked at the date. fishorhunt, most of here tie flies to the best of our ability and some have gotten or already were really good. The rest of us do a pretty job of producing fishable flies for the group and this swapping stuff had enormously improved my tying ability taking me from terrible to barely adequate in only a few years. As you're coming back to tying, much like I did not many years back after I retired, pick the swaps you feel most comfortable in to begin with. No need to discourage to sign up for a midge swap with size 20 or smaller hooks if you're tying saltwater flies right now. If the swap is for something you feel you could do fairly well in then jump in and enjoy the fun and camaraderie we enjoy here, and fill your fly boxes with some quality ties based on different concepts dictated by the swapmeister.

Nick

Thanks vicrider. I will keep an eye out for the next swap I can get into. Since getting stationed out here I do a little bit of both, saltwater and warmwater. It is fun to catch a largemouth bass on a 4 or 6wt rod, even though I miss the trout fishing in Colorado. I could take a 3-4 hour trip and do some trout fishing in the Appalchians, but don't have much time for it.

ihang10 after reading the responses to add147 it pretty much answered the question I had. I was just looking at what kind of tyers usually enter the fly swaps. I was afraid that people might not want my flies because they weren't up to most of the standards of the group so I thought I might need to become very proficient before I entered any swaps. Don't get me wrong, every fly that I have tied usually catches fish and they have minor flaws I am sure, but most of the experts could very much pick them apart.

Sorry I brought an old thread up. I should have just started a new one.