Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jd1983

Straight from the Fish's Mouth - A swap experiment

SWAP IS CLOSED

So, I figure this has the potential to be a really interesting type of swap (or completely horrible), so lets give it a try. I'm calling this one the "Straight from the Fish's Mouth" swap and it is going to be a little different than the typical format. We are going to keep this small since it is so different. The swap will be open to the first 6 people who reply.

The way this will go down is the person in position 1 will choose any dry or wet fly (no streamers on this one) they love, for any freshwater species they love to fish. They won't tell us what the pattern is but will ship a few of their chosen pattern to the person in position 2, who will then go out and try to catch a fish, any fish, with the pattern. They will also tie up 6 of this pattern and send it to me so we can put the swap set together.

Once position 2 is successful, that person will post up a photo of the fly straight from the fishes mouth and then tie their own pattern. Feel free to write up a little story of the trip too. The process will repeat until we get to me. To finish out, I'll send my fly to the person in position 1 and they will catch a fish and post the photo. I'll then ship the set out to everyone and we will have completed the challenge of the swap!

This is open to members from the U.S. or Canada. When you join the swap, you will have to PM your address so that I can get it to the person shipping you their fly. On the flies you ship to me, basic swap rules apply: crush proof boxes, self-addressed envelope, return postage. There is no official due date given the nature of what we are doing but please only sign up if you think you can get out the week or so after receiving the fly.

So, who is willing to give this a try? Like I said, I see it being a little different twist on the traditional swap that could be a lot of fun.

1. michaelray
2. RickZieger
3. branden_fritzemeier_67
4. carpflyguy
SM - JD1983

What a great idea for a swap. I would jump in, but looks like this is going be drawn out for a bit and i will not be around to finish it. I will be following to see how it pans out though.

No problem, flytire. I'll give it some time and if I get enough people then we'll see if it works.

It will definitely take longer than weeks as traditional swaps all take a month or more. Like I said, it's just a different type of idea that is a little more than tying up a dozen flies and sending them out. If someone signs up, they will hopefully understand this isn't one they can wait around to work on, especially the first two people in line.

Hey guys,

Sorry for the poor communication. If you all are up for it, we will run with the 4 people we have. I'll probably shoot you all a pm too to get your opinion.