Fly Tying
Mike West

Any Interest in a stacked Deer Hair Bass Bug Swap?

I've been kicking around the idea of hosting a swap like this but not sure of the interest because of the time and labor involved in tying stacked deer hair bass bugs.

There is a lot of talent on this board.

A few ideas I had:

1. Normal 12 Tiers and 12 flies each

2. 6 Tiers 6 flies each

3. 6 Tiers and 12 flies each...everyone gets two back.

Rules would be...no rules. Other than it has to have a weed guard. Just a stacked deer hair bass bug in any pattern or color you want, in other words all 12 flies could be different in size,color,pattern ect.

If it goes that way I would just put all the names in a hat pick a fly and then pick a name.

If we can get at least 6 guys to commit to a least 6 ea. I'll do it.

Let me know your thoughts.

T.I.A.

Stuff like this:

MVC-331S_zps29386dd3.jpg

MVC-391S_zpsd0252da7.jpg

MVC-322S_zps6ecea8ac.jpg

MVC-334S_zpsd6c04ab0.jpg

MVC-357S_zps9c4fb660.jpg

Don't be shy...you don't have to the skill level of TheCream or Pat Cohen or other top end tiers on this board but try to make a solid effort to do your best.

I'll join. I'm actually stacking up some divers for add's "As long as it floats" swap right now so I'll have to finish them up first. Hopefully we can get a decent number to join. There's plenty of people that post pictures of hair work on here but unfortunately almost none of them do swaps. Here's some of my bugs to help spark interest.

7KaAsLkl.jpg

2Lge0xRl.jpg

UV2rhPJl.jpg

iDpdmbJl.jpg

XV89Uqol.jpg

Even if I was good at stacking deer hair, tying 12 different flies for one swap? I might have one or two patterns I can do well ... certainly not 12, or even 6.

So, what each person gets back is a mix different than any other .... wow, that's confusing me already.

12 (or 6) people, each tying on pattern. Each person then gets a mix of patterns, but only one kind from each other tier.

Sorry, since I am not joining the swap, I shouldn't be writing anything.

I am not trying to stir a pot here, just trying to clear up some confusion before it starts.

This is how it would work in my head...

Tier #1 sends me 6 flies and everyone is different. I put six names in a hat pick a fly and then pull a name for that fly until they are all issued out.

If tier #2 sends in six all the same then everyone gets the same fly from that guy.

It's all about fun and getting to own some different hair work other than your own stuff.

Even if I was good at stacking deer hair, tying 12 different flies for one swap? I might have one or two patterns I can do well ... certainly not 12, or even 6.

So, what each person gets back is a mix different than any other .... wow, that's confusing me already.

12 (or 6) people, each tying on pattern. Each person then gets a mix of patterns, but only one kind from each other tier.

Sorry, since I am not joining the swap, I shouldn't be writing anything.

I am not trying to stir a pot here, just trying to clear up some confusion before it starts.

Maybe you could stack some flip flops...sorry couldn't help myself.

;)

Can I buy in? Man I'd love to have flies like you guys do with hair but no way I'd let a fish chew on them. I have a blue Nemo like Crackelbacks last pic and it's for display only. I have some others from earlier swaps that some guys did that made so embarassed with my flip flop poppers I'd never get in another like that or fish the ones I've gotten from some of you guys.

I might have to go buy a Fugly packer for this..I use a Brassie & Empty Pens and the flys I posted were tied about 15 years ago and I was near the top of my game then...(been out of it for at least 10 years) I've tied better than I posted but not consistently. The density Crackleback,Cohen,TheCream and others get I've only achieved a few times and I think they all use the Fugly.

Guess I'm going to have to break down and buy one and give it a shot and see if it's all that and a bag of chips.

Damn an other Gadget on my Desk!

Nobody should feel intimidated by the flys posted...(that's an other reason I felt there might be a low interest) if you can tie a decent deer hair bug jump in the water is fine...heck you might learn something...I'm always willing to help and share tricks.

I'm not the best stacker but do ok at it I will probably be in for 6 as long as the dye date isn't to soon as I've got another one to do already.