Fly Tying
Chrismac

Tying Chip's Peeper frog

yes! I got some bodies from Chris a few years ago. I have special curved scissors that I use to cut the bodies now. I follow a template that he provided me. What size, and what color bodies you looking for? I have some cool pics of some chips peepers and chips lizards that he sent me. I can post them here if your interested in seeing them.

John

Chip ties some sick stuff. Here is the pics of his lizards. Somewhere I have hand written tying instructions from him too.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

these are the lizards, not the frogs. I think I have the instructions for the frogs somewhere. But I can not look for them till tonight. I am on my way out the door to do a little carp fishing.

john

Ridderbros3,

That would be great, saw them, the frogs, at my local fly store and fell in love with them...great idea...I've been trying to tie them for months now but can never seem to get the foam right.

Tying on size 2 and 4 hooks...

again, thank you...

Tier : Chip Evans

Materials list

Hook: Mustad 3366 sz. 2, *4, 6

Thread: Uni Thread 6\0(weedguard, skirt, legs & hackle belly) Uni Thread 3\0(foam tie in at rear & front)

Weedguard: Hard Mason 12 lb.

Skirt: Soft saddle hackle palmered

Back: Sheet foam (closed cell) sz. Thin

Legs: 6 Neck hackles splayed

Belly: Saddle hackle palmered

Eyes: 7 mm. Doll eyes glued

Glue: Fly Fishin' Glue (Carlson Tackle Co.) or similar in high viscosity

* denotes preferred size

Tying instructions

Attach weedguard at rear of hook slightly behind the start of the bend.

Tie in soft saddle hackle with a small portion of the marabou still on the stem and palmer forward 6-8 wraps. Tie off hackle and tie off the thread.

Cut foam pieces to template provided

Mount 3/0 thread and tie in both foam pieces at the same time with the foam extending behind the hook bend. Tie off 3/0 thread and clip.

Mount 6/0 thread and tie in neck hackle legs (3 on each side) splaying outward.

Tie in saddle hackle for the belly of the fly and palmer forward to just behind hook eye. Tie off 6/0 thread and clip.

Mount 3/0 thread and fold or pull foam pieces forward creating a slight upward curve in the foam. Make two small cuts with scissors on either side of foam at tie in point of 3/0 thread. Tie down foam to the hook just in front of hackle belly with about 6 wraps of thread and advance thread in front of foam.

Bring weedguard material forward and slip through the hook eye. Make 3 wraps of thread and adjust weedguard length. Fold back the remaining weedguard material and tie off with 10 wraps of thread. Whip finish and cut excess thread.

Apply glue to each side of foam and to the underside of foam filling in all gaps and spaces.

Place eyes on side of foam and apply pressure until eyes have adhered to the foam.

Color the foam with prismacolor markers after glue has dried.

Excellent photos can be seen at http://www.bearsden.com/product6245.html

I work for a medical instruments company. Our company bought out a german company, and one night they brought in pallets of inventory that they were going to destroy. They let us keep whatever we wanted, and I ended up with a few pair of surgical grade scissors, including a curved set that happens to be the exact same radius as the templates that chip provided me. I havent forgotten about the instructions. Although the ones above are correct, I think that the ones I have had some specific notes in it.

john

Here a first attempt. The hook is 3366 size 4. Foam is Spirit River 2mm.

I didn't wind a hackle on before the tying in foam.

post-14269-1214677897_thumb.jpg

post-14269-1214677915_thumb.jpg

Yes and I will say they are worth the money.

The three sizes have great applications in bass and trout fishing. I Posted some in all different colours.

so may that will help you.

tyrite