Fly Tying
SilverCreek

The River Runs Through It - 25 Years Later

Robert Redford discusses the movie here:

Remembering “The Movie” by Jason Borger

http://www.flyfisherman.com/news/a-river-runs-through-it/

I don’t know if any of you have seen the review of the “movie” below but I think this review and discussion hits the nail on the head. Fly Fishing as a metaphor for life.

For anyone who wants another great sentimental fly fishing / river read, The Habit of Rivers by Leeson is phenomenal, a real fine writer. He's coauthor on the Benchside Reference, but his Habit of Rivers is high art, putting Leeson right up there with Maclean, a true national treasure.

I tried watching it one time. Felt like the first 20 minutes took 25 years and turned it off before I started poking my eyes out. Never could understand how this movie became a flyfishing icon.

The book's great, even if you didn't like movie, takes you back in time a lot like To Kill a Mockingbird. But for a lot of people that kind of fiction's not their thing. Did either of you ever read Habit of Rivers? More a series of essays, nonfiction. I'd be interested in what you thought

Not I. I'm not a fan of reading about fishing. I don't watch fishing shows, I don't read fishing magazines and I've never read a book about fishing. While I enjoy fishing and it's pretty much my only hobby I find it to be an exceptionally boring topic to read about or watch. I can talk about fishing all day and I think I've learned to fish by talking and listening to others. The worst for me is watching a video of someone fishing or, god forbid, drone fishing videos. They are about as interesting as watching wedding videos. Not sure what's wrong with me but I would rather fold laundry then watch or read about fishing. I'm pretty sure it goes back to my potty training days.

I was gonna say "que the haters"...But seems I'm too late lol

Personally...I love the movie. I watch it at least twice per year, for the past 20+ yrs. IMO it sums up how most of us feel about life/fly fishing.

I have it on dvd,vhs, and even the "making of" dvd as well as the CD soundtrack, (go ahead an hate me ;)) ...my fav movie :)

I watched it once ... a long time ago. I remember there was a lot "human interest"/"drama-tear jerker" aspects ...but I remember little of the fly fishing.

But then, it's trout fishing, the religion of which a fail to understand.

I remember I didn't much care for it since it seemed to be more of a chick flick than I liked.

Sorry Steve ... Not truly a hater, just not an appreciater.

PS ... no insult meant with the "chick flick" reference ... it's just what I remember of it.

Seeing this post come back up the other day reminded me that I never finished the movie, so the other night I rented it on youtube and my girlfriend and I watched it. I'm with Steve on this one. I love the movie. My senior quote is actually from it. I don't think it's that they're too young McGnat!!!

But I do agree I'd rather talk about fishing or read in an outdoor magazine than watch it on tv.

that movie never did much for me

X2

Didn't care for the book either, but book was better than the film as usual. I did not relate either to fly fishing in any way.

I thought the other two parts of the book better reading. parts having to do logging and his work for the Forest Service as a teenager.