Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutbum1982

Saltwater Patterns

Wanting to know if there is any good resources for patterns/recipes online or if there is a really good book out there. Any suggestions are appreciated, kind of a new realm for me.

Check out the salt threads in the salty forum here. I have had a lot of joy the flies in C.Boyd Pfieffers warmwater flies book. Depends on what you are chasing but different size clousers and deceivers cant go too far wrong.

It will be for roosterfish down on the Baja. I have a pretty good idea on the patterns to use, just having a hard time pulling up what materials are being used.

I finally bought a couple of books for patterns. "Saltwater fly pattern" by Lefty Kreh and "Essential Saltwater Flies" by Ed Jaworowski. I would recommend the latter as a first purchase because it gives tying instructions on most patterns but the former has more patterns.

Check out Bob Veverka's Facebook page, and also his "Fishing the Beach" FB page. Bob fishes the Baja, and he ties some rooster patterns - he recently posted some streamers made of llama hair, but wool would work just as well. The patterns are simple baitfish imitations - just about any of the usual materials would work fine.

Roosters u say! How about the good old ep tie in a 1/0 to 4/0, good thing is u can do any colour and they survive the rigors of being eaten, i usually epoxy the eyes and heads a bit.

P3192146_zps17ad6e9b.jpg

That pattern i did for Mahi, couldn't keep them off it. Roosters i may want to do a few in Tan/ Sand.

Veverka's pretty amazing, and diverse - i really enjoy his wide range of insane talent.

One of my favorites is ... Fly Fisherman's Guide to Saltwater Prey / How to match coastal prey fish & invertebrates with the fly patterns that imitate them ... by Aaron Adams. Packed with fly patterns and information.

A book by Drew Chicone, called "Featherbrain", was released August 1st. It is a guide to choosing materials for saltwater flys and includes several patterns as well as tips from knowledgeable tyers. Drew is a very innovative tyer and his monthly newsletter "Salty Fly Tying Chronicle" always includes a step by step instruction of a saltwater fly. Drew is an officer in the Sanibel Fly Fishers as well as a certified fly casting instructor.

I must have been in the middle of my daily brain cramp, because I forgot to mention that we're already sitting on the greatest source for fly pattern recipes in existence. Some of the best tyers in the world have posted their work here. If you can't find what you're looking for in the forum database, you probably don't need it.

I must have been in the middle of my daily brain cramp, because I forgot to mention that we're already sitting on the greatest source for fly pattern recipes in existence. Some of the best tyers in the world have posted their work here. If you can't find what you're looking for in the forum database, you probably don't need it.

For once I must agree with PJ.

Spend some time ( a lot of time actually) reading through..ok lets be real..BROWSING.. the threads here in the salty section. There are some amazing tiers, tips, and pictures contained within. If you start seeing pictures of PJ in feather boa's just proceed to the next thread to save your eyes.

As far as rooster... Like others have said, Veverka ties some amazing stuff. Check out his FB page. Im fortunate to pro-staff with him and a couple other baja guys and have seen some SUPER cool flies.