Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
T-Ball

vise for tying saltwater bucktails ?

I tie mainly 3 - 5 oz bucktails that are used for saltwater bottom fishing. Need a new vise, can't seem to find one that will accomodate an 8/0 mustad # 91715 hook. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

T-Ball

I use a home made vise, made from an old pair of vise grips. I welded a rod onto the vise grips & fabricated a clamp for it. I've used it with hook sizes up to 10/0, but it would hold larger. The jaws are adjustable enough. I've used it with jigs up to 16 oz, but most I tie are in that same range as you or smaller. I've actually crushed a 7/0 Mustad 3407 in the jaws once, tightened it up too much & broke the hook. I know of no fly tying vise with that much jaw power! blink.png

My fly tying vise is a Regal, but it has the standard jaws & won't hold hooks larger than about a 2/0 or 3/0 depending on the wire diameter. Regal has a vise with big game jaws, is supposed to hold larger hooks, but it's pricey. Seems I've seen posted that the Big Game jaws will hold up to 8/0, but Regal's website says 5/0.

http://www.regalvise.com/

Dynaking has a vise, the Barracuda, that will hold larger hooks, advertised up to 8/0, but again it's expensive.

http://www.dyna-king.com/dtl_vises/?id=322&cat_id=2

I too have 'vise grip' vise. When I started tying hair bugs the cheap vise I had would not hold so I make the 'vise grip' rig. It will hold anything you want to tie on. I just wish I could turn the 'vise' so I could see the back side of the fly.

T-Ball,

I have a Peak vise with the Magnum/Saltwater Jaws. I have tied 4/0 stainless on it with room to spare. I do not know if it will hold an 8/0. I'd suggest calling Peak to see if it would work for you.

That's my two cents.

Michael

My Dyna King barracuda will hold to an 8/0. It won't crush hooks but it definitely holds them tight.

Jeremy

I used my Peak Vise with the Saltwater jaws for tying on 10/0 Bluewater hooks without a problem.

Vise grip here too when I used to tie 3 oz. jigs for a customer that fished offshore and wanted feather and bucktail jigs. I filed the teeth of the vise grips down as they dug into the hook steel. I doubt the nicks would have made a difference on that thick steel hook but I just didn't feel comfortable.

The vise grip I had actually came with a c-clamp welded to it. Can't remember what hardware store I purchased it from though. You could always just hold something that big in your hand and tie bucktail on.

Kirk